Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube anemone

Tube anemone

I want to avoid anemones in my tank as I do not want them to wander around and sting my corals.

But what about tube anemones? Are any of you keeping them? Do they grow fast? Are they hardy? I presume they cannot move around.

Well, if you research your anemone properly and place it initially in the right spot, you might not have this problem. But in general this hard to predict. http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf This will give all the info you need.

Thanks for the link mike9515756 . I have read much in the past about the anemones discussed in the article, and the general information about their care. I want to keep away from anemones in general.

But I am searching for the specific care of the tube anemone, and comments from people who know about them or have kept them.

Marc,
    In the advanced aquarist online magazine, there is a good article on them in the June 2004 issue written by Rob Toonen.
    Sorry, I couldn't link it here, but you can find it easily with the info I gave you. Never kept one, and apparantly their sting is not strong at all, but they can reach real far with their tentacles. I would think a proper setup is required for them such as a FO and not a full blown reef.

My gf have one in her 10gal and they grow quite fast!
    And they wonder around too but only at the bottom of your sand bed to find it "prefer" place to settle.
    Newbie in training

Toutouche, that article is awesome.

Khoa, that comment on the tube anemone walking around on the sand bed is enough for me to abandon the idea of getting one. I have too much LPS on my sandbed to risk that.

Well, haha you can box him up; then once he settle in he wont move again.
    Newbie in training

I had one of these for a brief period in my tank at the office. It was a pretty thing, an orangish/pink color. It loved to roam all over the tank, and finally settled in a spot at the front of the tank. I fed it mysis and hunks of tiger shrimp. It died one day after a few months.

I do agree they are very pretty and I've been tempted too, but I know I don't have the proper environment for it.

Hey Peluche,

I have 3 Very beautiful Tube Anemonies. If you go to the Photo Post section of the site and search under my name you should be able to see the pictures. I have never had a problem with them moving more the 1". I bought my White one about 1 1/2 years ago and it was a tiny little thing. The LFS had ordered it in and it showed up at only about 1 1/2" in lenth! At a price tag of $60 he never sold it. I talked him down to $20 about 2 months later and took the little guy home. I placed him in the tank and he burried himself under a rock with just his Anemonie part showing. After a couple of weeks of TLC and a few Shrimp from Sobeys, he was almost Tripple his size!!! I then ordered in two more. The Purple one and the Pink one. These guys showed up much larger. I now have one on the left of the tank, one in the middle, and one on the right. I would definetly suggest you try them. Be sure to feed them well but not to well because they can grow fast and get BIG!!! The only troubel that I have had is you can't keep small fish. These guys will gobble them up in a flash. My pink one ate my Bi-color gobie before he it the bottom of the tank! I have a Clown and a Manderine that are fine, but the little gobies get too close and I guess the Tube Anemonie's sting is too much for tiny fish.

Other then that I have had no trouble! Like I said I have had three for about 1 1/2yaers. Never moved more then 1" in either direction. Just place them so they can burrie themselves under the front of you Rockwork and you should be fine. They don't seem to bother other corals either. My white one sits right under a small group of Shrooms and it doesn't bother them at all! Hope this helps!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast