How to git rid of sponges?

Everyone tells me when sponges grow in your tank it's a sign of good water quality. Is this true?
    Right now I have a few different sponges growing in my tank , starting with a white stringy type, creamy color kinda looks like top of toadstool and a pinky color.
    these are growing every where some are growing on corals , the corals still open but would like to get rid of them. Any suggestions ?
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

Leave them be.., o.k. now that I've said that, I'll continue. First, are you sure they're sponges? Most sponges don't like strong lighting and you have MH lights. They usually grow in the rockwork and shaded areas. However, there "are" some types of "boring" sponges that dig into the rock and corals, however these are rare in tanks. If you have these, I'd say you're really running a high average on your good luck streak!!
    Can you post some pics of them?

I've got some weird white thin branching kind of sponge in my reef too. It's been growing the last four months or so and is really taking hold on the rocks the tubastreas are on. It is a bit shaded in that area and they are definitely sponges. I have no idea where they came from though.
    Susan

I will try to get some pic and post them tomorrow.
    The pink sponge I have is almost like the white stuff except a bit more dense, it seems to grow between my corals and LR but then creeps up onto the coral.
    The one that looks like toadstool lives in the back of the tank it gets a little light and about the size of a ping-pong ball.
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

Does the pink sponge completely cover the coral where it dies or stunts it? Or does it just grow thin vein like strands? Sometimes, sponges and tunicates grow on corals but are more symbiotic and don't really damage the coral. Actually looks very cool sometimes.

Susan,
    Those white branchy type sponges are "very" common in aquariums.

Do the branchy ones get out of control? Just wondering if I should remove it now or just let it go.
    Susan

In the tank, they always stay small andf in shaded areas. The only time I had seen these types of sponge grow big was in reefmutt's old tank setup, which was running for a bunch of years and they wre only in the overflows ( excellant filter feeders which are all part of the biosystem in our tanks).

Ok, I can live with that
    Susan