Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

weird red spots and behaviour on chromis

About 1 week ago I noticed that one of my cromis was hiding next to my overflow box and stayed there for 4 days. I also noticed th had 2 red marks on his body on top of his head and on the side just like when someone falls forward. It's like if some of the skin is removed. He only swims for the first hour the lights go on then he hides but takes a peak here and then. 2 days ago I noticed that he might be somewhat blind. He was hitting my colt, hitting the glass etc... while swimming and had some close calls with one of the anemones. He didn't eat a think in the past week but doesn't look skinny. Also, i have 3 chromis and 2 of them seem to be paired and this one was always the outsider. Did he get a smack form my bta? Did another chromis do this to him? What should i do? I will try to post a pic tonight but i doubt this will be visible because my cam is a POS. Any ideas guys?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I'm thinking the other chromis's's's's's did this to him.

From what I've read, should have a pair, or five. Nothing in between.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

so... what do i do with him. He isn't eating, could be partially blind. Could his wounds get infected?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mike his wounds can and are likely infected. Secondary bacteria infections are the usual end result of skin / scale damage. I also agree with Vince ... it is likely the other chromis that has inflicted the wounds. As he pointed out a pair or uneven numbers of 5 or more. With only 3 he IS the outsider
    Rob

I had a friend with this situation. He bought another two chromis, changed some rocks around to mix up their territories, and all was well.
    Susan

To be honest, i dont like the cromis....just bought them to make my mom and girl friend happy. Those fish were a nono since day 1. I had 4 but one got got sucked in by my power head. Also, they are always hiding and hardly swim. He has eaten a bit tonight and is hiding much less but is afraid to go on the other side. I think you guys are right...the other cromis attacked him. Now, what do i do with him. If his wounds are infected, can it infect the other fish?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Chromis are schooling fish Mike and will not be out in the open often unless they feel secure. That security comes in numbers. I like the blue green ones and a school of about 13 is nice as they will in those numbers be out almost all the time.
    Rob

Yes, i understand, but when they were 4 they were swimming around. since the last one passed away, they just hide. Anyways, there is no way i am gonna have 13 of them. I am probably gonna add 2 more and a couple of blue eyed cardinals. By the way, can i substitute the cromis for the cardinals since they are also schooling fish?

I don't think they will school together mike. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.
    Rob

I used to like them until I saw how big they get. The LFS had some full grown ones in a while ago and they were huge compared to the babies we usually see. I guess they must grow very slowly.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast