Thread: Help Identify

Help Identify

can someone identify these growths in my tank. the first started as a very small speck and is seemingly growning and branching out. my best guess is an elegance coral but from what I've read, they are very difficult to have multiply. the second are like little pods and grow in groups. they seem to grow where the light isn't as bright such as behind the power head and in the outside portion of my overflow box. can both these things stay or should I be trying to get rid of them? Thanks for any help. Paul

ANOTHER

LAST

Unsure of the 1st thing as the pics aren't that clear.
    The 2nd thing is a commo sponge that usually appears in a newer setup tank. As you already mentioned, they tend to grow in "low flow" areas and this can often be used as a sign of a potential nutrient sink area that will accumulate unwanted detritus.
    They always dissapear on their own and don't return. More or less part of a cycle in the maturing of the tank.

ya, the pics of the first thing are at the back of the tank and it's hard to get a close up that's clear. it does look similar to a mushroom in it's basic form but it has tenticals that come out from the circumference. I don't know if that helps to identify

Well, can't say for sure, but it "is" possible the 1st things are also sponges of a sort. Have you tried giving them tiny pieces of food to see if they take it? A type of coral might close up on it, but not a sponge. Just as an experiment, try to feed one of them and see what happens.

I think the first two shots are either cabbage coral (lobophytom crassum) or flower lettuce (sinularia dura) they both look very similar.
    the other- I concur with Greg -
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

yeah was thinking cabbage coral for th efirst one also looks like mine only smaller
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp