Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pics of Leo, juvenile volitans lionfish - growing fast!

I figure I'd better post some more pics of Leo before he's all grown up. He's moved out of the quarantine tank now and into the 75g I bought for him. I can't believe how fast this fellow is growing!

He was very mad at me after I moved him but he's settling in now and doing well. The bubble curtain along the back never comes out very well in photos.

I'm starting to see the adult shape in him now as he's getting thicker. It took me two and a half months to get him off live ghost shrimp and onto frozen foods - he was VERY tiny when I got him. He's eats very well now though.

His tank is next to a lazy boy chair in my living room and when I sit there he comes over to see me. He has lots of cute little moves that he does when I'm there. We're developing a kind of special bond. Well I am, hopefully he knows about it too

I haven't decided for sure if I'm going to get a tankmate for him or not. If I do it will probably be a Harlequin Tusk fish as I've read they make good buddies for lionfish. I'm not in a rush though, it's kind of nice having him all to myself like this.
    Susan

He looks real good Susan! Getting big fast!!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

he looks fabulous!!!!Really healthy too....is he eating raw shrimps now?CAn you take a picture of a full view of the tank so we can see his home and enviroment......in a 75gallons with one other buddy as a tankmate he will be some happy little leo....looks like you take care of him very well....as you know how fanatic i am of volitans i am really happy to see that there is another lion out there that is well taken care of....

As you probably know there are some people out there that overfeeds them,plus overfeeds with the wrong foods,wrong feeding schedules,wrong habitat,wrong tank mates...etc....what feeding schedule did you decide on?
    Derik...

Yup, he's eating raw scallop, krill and tiger shrimp with the shell on (his absolute favourite). I'm not feeding them whole, he's not big enough for that yet. I chop the shrimp or scallops into pieces and feed them to him with a pair of big plastic tweezers. He gets very excited at the site of the tweezers I'm feeding him once a day for now (Frank Marini's advice) until he's bigger and will then go to every second and then every third day. Frank also suggested I add different types of seafood which I plan to do on the next trip to the seafood market.

This is Leo land. The rock is just tuffa, very fine crushed coral and the plastic plants hide the powerhead and Eheim cannister intake. The canister empties on the other end of the tank. The bubble wall looks great in real life but awful in pictures.

This is where I sit when we have our little chats. My son thinks I'm nuts but I swear this fish loves attention. The quarantine tank is just on the other side of this chair.
    Susan

very nice susan...that is one happy little lion.......who is frank?Is he a local fish store owner?
    Derik...

Your photos are excellent! My small Kodak camera won't (rather can't) take pictures like that.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Frank Marini is a regular on Reef Central and considered a fish expert by many. He has kept just about every fish and once had a tank with nothing but lionfish. He wrote one of the best fact sheets on keeping lionfish for Reefkeeping magazine, check it out if you haven't seen it already:
    http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/

Thanks pwall, my camera is an Olympus C-750UZ. It takes some great shots but I'm disappointed in the 40x zoom. It's great for zooming way in on things far away but can't focus when zooming in on things close up - I can't take those cool ultra macro shots of a single coral polyp.
    Susan

Thats a very good article...he sure seems to know alot about it....thanks for the link
    Derik...

No problem. I read that a couple years ago and have wanted a lionfish every since.

I know what you mean about many people not keeping them properly though. I was at the store where I was buying my live ghost shrimp a while ago and one of the guys who works there and also runs a tank maintenance business told me that he has a volitans as well. I asked him what he was feeding it and he told me just goldfish. I couldn't believe it, you'd think that he'd know better. I told him how bad that is for the fish and he said that he just couldn't get him to eat frozen. I told him ghost shrimp would be better in the meantime and he said they were too expensive now that the fish was getting bigger. I really wanted to slap him. I know how hard they can be to wean off live foods, it took me two and a half months with mine and yes the ghost shrimp were expensive ($1 each here) but you can't ever give up! His lionfish won't survive long and he really should know better. Goldfish have to be about the worst thing you can feed them.
    Susan

Beautiful fish.

And I think the bubble curtain looks dope
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast