Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sebastian - spiny blue lobster

What the heck, since I'm posting a bunch of pics, figured I'd share this one of Sebastian, my spiny blue lobster. He's molted three times since I've had him and is growing very fast. He lives in the 300g.

Susan

Man...I mean Girl.... you can take some good pictures Susan.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

These guys are sooooooo Cool! Are they reef safe? Any fish that you can't mix them with? I thought about getting one a while back but I couldn't find much info on them.
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Well I'm hoping I don't regret getting him. You're right about it being hard to find info on them. They do get big but how big depends on who you read, anywhere from 8" to 20". He was only about 2" when I bought him but he's growing very fast.

They don't have claws but I have read reports of them eating snails and even small fish if you don't keep them well fed. The first couple nights after I moved my fish back from the hospital tank the butterflyfish seemed to be afraid of him when he was out prowling after dark. Since then I've been giving him a tiger shrimp tail just after the lights go out. I give him the tail with the shell on because it takes him all night to eat it and he doesn't bother the fish. He loves them and they are healthy for him as well.

For now I've decided to just play it by ear, keep him fed and keep an eye on things. He's quite beautiful, even more blue than the photo because there is an Aqua Sun bulb over this end of the tank and it tends to make everything look pink in photos. Great for bringing out fish colours though
    Susan

Cool! Keep us posted on how you make out with him! 20" hey? I guess putting one in the Nano is out of the question! LOL!!!!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

No, probably not good for a nano I only read one place that stated 20". I didn't discard it because it was on Bob Fenner's site, www.wetwebmedia.com and he knows his stuff. Most places state 12" in the wild and 8" in aquaria. We'll see I guess. He's a good 5" now. There's certainly room for him in my 8' tank and as long as he behaves himself I don't see a problem.

During the day he stays in his own cave at the left end of the tank. It's neat though because I have a special viewing window of this end and can see him all the time. After lights out he comes out to prowl. If I don't give him anything he will roam all over the tank, up and down the rocks, scavenging. I haven't seen him actually threaten a fish yet but the butterflyfish seem to be afraid of him. Only at night though, during the day all the fish swim all around him, even going into his cave with him, it's weird.
    Susan

So when he outgrows the tank are you going to EAT him?
    BTW ... Nice pic Susan
    Rob

Heh, I've heard they are a delicacy in some places. Not in my house though!
    Susan

beautiful. does he respond to you?

Originally posted by princpl skimmer
    beautiful. does he respond to you?
    Yeah.., probably goes running while screaming AAIIIYEEEE!!!! everytime she walks by the kitchen window with a big steaming pot!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast