Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yellow tang on Speed!!!!!

2 nights ago, just before the lights were gonna go off, i noticed that my tang went in supersonic mode. He was swimming behind the rocks back and fourth super fast, doing sharp turns again and again. Lights went off and he went to sleep. Next day when the lights went on, He was even more krazy, swimming really close to the sand super fast again back and forth, even swimming backwards..stopping and wagging his tail real fast...I have never seen this before. During this behavior, he has his agressive look (puts the head fin up). He doesn't bother or attack the other fish even when they are in his way. Is this normal? The only thing i changed 2h prior to his behaviour change was the skimmers plug in another outlet that isn't grounded. I doubt this is the cause.I changed it back late last night, will have to see the effects.

Cool

yellow tangs will sometimes spar with there reflections on the glass. also, they can freak out sometimes if the lights are out in the room and you approach the tank, why?? there spazzes.

Mine does the same thing. For a short time after the glass is cleaned he "fights" with himself. Must think it's another yellow tang in there or something.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

they dont like there own type and i believe their reflections make them want to fight the non existant tang. i think hes showing his reflection whos boss. mine does the same thing.

He likely knew that the lights out time was fast approaching and needed to find a place for the night. i say this because about 3 to 5 minutes before my lights go out all my fish disappear to their bed rooms. It is as if they already know that their time is up for the day. I wish i had such good sense of time.
    Rob

How long have you had your tang? I see this alot in newly acclimated fish just out of the bag from being shipped. Often it is a reaction to ph shock or some other shipping related stress. It can be a bacterial infection in the brain or behind the eyes or an internal affliction...It could also simply be a fish looking for a place to sleep!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Matt I know from my books, as old as they are, that "darting" movement is a sign if disease. Do you think that "power" swimming is actually "darting". It is hard to know given the size of most tanks but I always considered "darting" to be fast start and stop movement. Maybe the average tank is too small to fully display what's going on.
    Rob

It was the skimmer being plugged in a different outlet that wasen't grounded. I pluged it back in the original outlet last night and he is fine tonight. I have had this tang for almost 6 months and he has never shown such a bizzare behaviour. He never does this before the lights go off and he was doing it when they were on the next day also. Tomorow, i will try plugging the skimmer in the problematic outlet to see if the behaves this way again. He was really KKKRAZY!!!!!
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Cool

, I've owned 3 yellow tangs and they've ALL done this behaviour. Its a two part thing IMO. They tend to do this just before lights out as OSD and I think its just that there more high strung than other tang especially at a young age.also,,the glass on the inside can have a serious reflection when clean and at certain angles so they see another yellow tang. I find this behaviour seetles down as they get bigger provided they have adequate space,

We will see tomorrow if it's the skimmer being plugges in the non grounded socket.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast