Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Linkia: I need your opinion

I bought an orange linkia about 4 months ago, and it has died this past weekend.

It was very small when I got it, and I was wondering if this had anything to do with its death. Or maybe my tank is too small to keep one well fed.

How long have you had your linkias? How big a tank do you have?

I have a 65 gallon tank, plenty of live rocks, salinity=1.026, calcium=400, alk=8.5 dkh, temp=80-81. Parameters very stable. The tank is two years old :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

linkeas as well as many other stars are hard to keep long term. little is known of there true diet. many just starve slowly to death. also, acclimation to different salinity's is a long long process. I think they should be drip acclimated for 6 to 8 hours personally. sometimes we just don't know how they were treated from the ocean to our tanks. some have being kept long term, nay more have perished.
    seems also the bigger the tank the better chances of survival. this might have something to do with little salinity changes in large tanks with automated topoff.

Johnny..............have you ever kept a linkia long term?

I thought it was common for most people to keep linkia starfish for years.

Maybe I should start a poll on this.

its less common for LINKEAS to survive than not. people who lose them just don't like to post it but I've read way to many threads on RC about them dieng. I read a good article on the RC monthly mag that talked about this exact thing. I've try'd 3 linkeas to no avail.

It seems that some (but very few) can last for a few years before succumbing to starvation. There can also be acclimation problems. They need 6-8 hours (as Johnny said), but there can be a problem in the treatment before we get them. Since we do not know their exact dietary requirements, combined with many stars being misidentified, there is a high mortality rate.

Thanks Johnny...that's generous to admit.

Others want to confess?

I am trying to figure out if I should give it a second try, with a larger linkia. LFS has them for $19.99 at the moment. But I am trying to evaluate my chances of keeping it longer than 4 months.

I have two blue Linkias, one orange Linkia and one Red Sea Fromia. The blues are aprox. 2.5 inches across, the orange is only 1 inch and the Fromia is aprox 2 in. I have one blue Linkia from before I moved 19 monthes ago and the other is about a year old. The orange is about in year as well and the Fromia about 8 monthes. my tank is 265 gallons and the rock comes from a 210 gallon tank that was set up for 6 years before I moved it. When I first added all of these guys, I saw them almost all the time as they cruised around the tank, but more recently, I see them less often. I believe this is because they are now searching harder and in more difficult to reach places for food. The orange lost a leg 2 monthes ago and it is now regrowing, so I assume it is getting something to eat- however, it has never grown. None of them have ever gotten any bigger.
    I think that if I hadn't gone and pushed the envalope with 4 starfish- maybe had one linkia and the fromia, they might have done perfectly well- not that they aren't doing well at the moment, but I fear that their scarcity is the beginnings of their demise- I could be wrong...
    I guess what I am saying is that linkias are sort of like manderins- they need a LOT of space and a lot of live rock to really thrive.
    I think I might remove one of the linkias and the orange and sell them...anybody interested??
    This will give a better chance of survival for the other two. I do think that linkias can live long term in captivity - given the proper conditions- but I guess that can be said about anything!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Wow, huge tanks and little to very moderate successes.

Makes me feel my 65 gallon tank cannot satisfy a linkia.

Any others want to come out of the closet? I also want to hear about success stories out there.

I have a small blue linkia in my 120g reef. This is a mature reef with lots of life. I have to admit the linkia is surviving but nowhere near thriving. If I had my time back I wouldn't have gotten it.
    Susan

Protoreastor lincki is a VERY nice star too and ive kept one for 2 years and one for 1 week ehehe caught in a powerhead..the other from a move....heres a picture of it...they are omnivore and fed on the same thing i fed my lion and grouper..it is also called crimson star too
    Derik...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast