Thread: Additives

Additives

Additives??? What additives are you putting in your tanks and for what reasons.

Right now the only other additive I put in my tank other than the 2 part Kent Tech CBA-CBB is Kent strontium/molybdenum
    for increased LPS expansion.

The reason why I post this is that there isnt alot of info on all the different additives and what they do in the real world. It would be interesting to find out what people are using and why they use it.

Kalkwasser and reg. water changes
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

I use bio-calcium and kent superbuffer dkh. I don't really know why. I just got some and don't even know if it works yet.

Wow thats amazing that you are the only 2 people that use additives. I'm surprised companies like Kent can even stay in business.

Well see most people when they are new to the hobby listen to what the local fish store says and they buy a lot of things in bottles that they don't really need. Then after they get a bit of experience and get on a message board they find that most people don't use additives because they not only aren't needed but can actually cause problems.

I use natural seawater and have a calcium reactor and a kalkwasser reactor. No additives. I would never add a chemical to my tank unless I could first test for it accurately and really felt that my tank would benefit from it.

You know all those trace elements that you hear about? They're in salt mixes. You don't need to add extra. Actually they are in salt mixes in such large quantities that many people already have way too much of them.
    Susan

Flame is talkin' sense!!
    The only additive I use is a calcium reactor- it's the best additive you can get. Expensive- yes, but when you add up the cost of long term aditions of additves and the fact that you will virtually never have to buy a coral twice, it's not so bad. There is nothing that will make your corals more happy and healthy than a calcium reactor- and these days they aren't necessarily so expensive- depending on the brand..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I agree with Flame, no additives unless I can test for them first.
    Some LPS do use up more trace elements than others, but I'd check to see if your low first.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Originally posted by reefmutt
    Flame is talkin' sense!!
    The only additive I use is a calcium reactor- it's the best additive you can get. Expensive- yes, but when you add up the cost of long term aditions of additves and the fact that you will virtually never have to buy a coral twice, it's not so bad. There is nothing that will make your corals more happy and healthy than a calcium reactor- and these days they aren't necessarily so expensive- depending on the brand..
    Humm, but what about those who don't have a large population of SPS and LPS... (or any for that matter).

Whould you still say that a Calcium reactor would be a good investment?

-yvest

For a tank without a high calcium demand I'd probably just go with kalkwasser in the top off water.

My reef tank is almost all SPS now. I also have clams, one is over 12" and still growing. That means I use a lot of calcium. The calcium & kalkwasser reactors keep up easily and keeps my levels well balanced. I'd be paying a fortune in additives if I had to do it that way.
    Susan

I drip Calcium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate. I also add Magnesium and Coral-Vite. I also do a 30% monthly water change.