Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Check out our Mantis!

Introducing Austin, our peacock mantis shrimp! Don't worry - he has his very own forty gallon tank. I'm not letting him get near my reef- that's for sure!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Check out our Mantis!-image07.jpg  
    Gail in Nova Scotia

HOLY COW!!!!!! I have to vote him pic of the month!

ijo
    hehe yeah I guess that would make it with the Trick or Treat theme... eeek!!!

MomRules.. if you want to submit it... click the Photo link up top and then the upload button... make sure its in the correct category.

IJO

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Judging by the earlier pics you posted of the broken container, he's a smasher, right?

Scary looking. Now imagine that showing up at your front door and saying "Trick or treat, smell my feat, give me something good to eat!"oof:
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Originally posted by tang_man_montreal
    Judging by the earlier pics you posted of the broken container, he's a smasher, right?

Scary looking. Now imagine that showing up at your front door and saying "Trick or treat, smell my feat, give me something good to eat!"oof:

ooor.... " Trick or bash..., give me something good to smash!!"

CAT
    Cool! I just read a long thread about these guys, they are amazing creatures. Almost makes me wish I'd found one in my rock
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

Cat,
    You have this as your signature. It should also very well be a Mantis motto.
    They are cool creatures and interesting to have BUT... only if you have a seperate tank handy to house them otherwise they will be the demise of your reeftank!!!

CAT
    Oh definitely in their own tank This guy I was reading about bought one and set up a tank for it - the shrimp re-arranges everything in the tank to suit itself. In fact, the proud new owner has to buy rubble so the shrimp can build it's den the way it wants it. Apparently their eyes are more complicated than humans and their strike is the second fastest motion by an animal in the sea. Amazing creatures, but you just don't stick your hands in the tank for any reason...

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

Originally posted by CAT
    Apparently their eyes are more complicated than humans and their strike is the second fastest motion by an animal in the sea.
    What's the 1st quickest?? I would assume it is either the suction power that either a Frogfish or Scorpionfish makes when it snatches food with it's mouth.

This is definitely a neat critter! He has been digging in the sand to start his burrow in behind the rocks and up against the glass. I figured we would not really see much of him. WRONG! He almost always has his head out watching, and if you sit down in front of the tank he will come right out and say hello. In fact, he is so "friendly" in his behaviour that I have to remind myself to be careful . He will take food off a fondue fork, but just plays with it and then drops it. He prefers live mussels and snails. If you watch him for a few minutes after he comes out to say "howdy" he eventually gets tired of you and does this great "grand exit" and swoops away. Almost like a power turn that swimmers do off the side of a pool.

His eyes are totally freaky. THey are split into quarters and the slits open and shut and reflect the light. very alien.

Looks like Austin will be the next school science fair project for my son. Last year it was crayfish, and the year before it was crabs. I think he is going to study crustaceans eventually!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast