Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MH DE, which setup would be best?

I am thinking of purchasing 2 250w mh de lighting but i am unable to find relative information on reflectors and bulbs. I am told that the best reflector is a ROIII...anyone know this? I want to build the lights in my canopy. I will have it raised to give me a clearence of 8" or i will cut 2 holes on the top and mount them. Anyone know what bulbs i should get since there haven't been any tests done on DE bulbs at RC? I was also thinkiong of running Icecap ballasts for heat and power consumption. Any other altrenatives? Is it true that DE bulbs have to be shielded with glass in the reflector? why? Keep in mind that i have 440W vho's. Would an added 500W mh be too much. I dont want it to kill my coraline and dont want algea in my tank.

250w with VHO is very fine. ICECAP ballasts awsome choice.
    ICECAP DE lamps great choice! pendants with glass shield a must! for UV radiation. PFO,ICECAP and a few others make good pendants. send Ivan a pm on what pendants he can get.

Can you retrofit a pendant or make a hole in the canopy and mount it inthey? What is a ROIII reflector? Guys at reef central say they are thew best but i cant find any info on them
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I've got the same setup you're talking about. I'm using 2 X 250W DE Sunlight Supply ReefOptixIII pendants with the dual 250W ballast.

I've hung the pendants using Grip-Lock cable and use 14K bulbs with no supplementation.

Although I have nothing to compare it to as it is my first SW setup, I like it, and would recommend it.

BTW when running DE bulbs, you need the glass (UV shield).

If using a canopy, I would assume you're gonna need lots of ventalation as they are HOT.

Jeremy

You must, must have a uv shield.
    If you dont you'll cause stress/damages to your fish. And your coral will get burn.
    Newbie in training

I would use the PFO Magnetic HQI ballast instead of an electronic one if you could. I recently switched over and I was surprised at how much brighter the same bulb ran on the two types of ballasts. That's JMO though.

There is a good article that compares different reflectors for DE bulbs. I don't know about ROIII but the PFO did very well in the tests.

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

hey Jer_h where did you get the ROIII pendants? I'm looking for some myself. I have heard that they are the best- they seem to be the only reflectors that use bent polished aluminum in the style of the spider light reflectors for se bulbs only on a smaller scale. All the other de pendants I've seen use that dimpled aluminum..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

20 g reef, 72 g reef

Reefmutt,

Contact Will at AquariumObsessed.com

I bought my tank, as well as the pendants from him. The package included both reflectors, the dual 250W Sunlight Supply Blueline ballast, and Hamilton 14K DE bulbs. He can get pretty much any hardware you need.

I also saw that Premiumaquatics.com (american) had the same package for a very, very reasonable deal a while back.

HTH

Jeremy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast