Is A Rescue Mission In Order????

OK.. I have discovered that at least 3 and maybe as many as 5 of my newest small cleaner shrimps have decided to go under the slanted bottom of my tank to live. They are currently so small that they went through the 3/8" holes that are drilled on the deck under the rock. They can not get out on their own. I intend to SUCK them out of there by disconnecting the pump with the valve closed and then open it when they are hanging around the 1.5 inch supply bulkhead. They should be sucked right into that and down to a bucket. I would put them in my sump until they grow enough to not fit through the holes.
    OR ... should I leave them there to keep that area clean.

OR should I reserve that job for less costly critters like bristle stars and what ever worms end up there.

What do you think??

Rob

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I say go with the SUCK mission and put them in the sump till they grow.

Man that sucks.. (pun intended)
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

It might take a while before you can get them all out but I would try and get as many as you can. The last few might stay away after seing their buddies get sucked down into a black hole but if you can get a few in the sump that would be better. Who knows...maybe cleaner shrimp aren't that bright and will want to see where the others went.

Bummer. Yeah, I think I'd get them out too if it was me. Cleaner shrimp are too expensive for that. Methinks you will need to stick to larger, smarter shrimp
    Susan

Maybe post some "Cleaner Shrimp not Welcome" signs at the openings. Or play some Anit-Loitering Music under the slant board.

Before forcing them out, what about seeing if they get bored and come out themselves. I presume if they grow enough so thay cannot fit out through the holes that they will still be able to follow the drain to the bucket later, right? So if they don't come out on their own, you can try the potentially harmful "suck mission" later.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Will they seem to hang out at the water input and I would guess that it is because that's the food source. They can not get out them selfs because there is no structure from the bottom of the tank to the openings of those holes. I would have went with screen over the holes or smaller holes but I was concerned that they would plug with calcium over time.
    So based on the responses so far it looks like I will most likely suck them out of there. Doing this will not hurt them. It will be no different then the suction guns they use to catch fish with.
    Rob

I have now started the RECUSE MISSION and I have recovered 1 of at least 3 that I see under that plate. Question Will cleaners be drawn to a light source? If not I could be here all night waiting for them to happen by the point where I can suck them out.
    Rob

Cool! A one ton cleaner shrimp trap!

Way cool. Rube Goldberg would be jealous.

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Rob, cleaners aren't atracted to light. Smell, that'll work- is there any way of inserting something with fish food on the end?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high