Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sun Polyp Growth

Hi all,

I just acquired a kickass sun polyp with about 8-9 polyps on it a few days ago from IJO. This guy is super kickass and i was just wondering if anyone knows how quickly these things reproduce/propagate and also what would be some signs of an underfed/unhealthy speciem/polyp.

thanks,
    Nick.

ijo
    Sun Polyps do not grow quickly at all.. with your coral(Orange) the growth is identified by the bright orange along the base of the sun polyp along with new heads you'll notice popping up here and there.

I have also seen what I think is a spawn... it looks like shreaded polyps all over the place sticking to whatever they can get their hands on.

The dark skeleton markings inbetween each polyp is decay... these corals can retract and go downhill fast if you don't feed them often enough. Hope this helps.

IJO

It will require regular feedings if you want it to grow steadily. If you have the patience and time in the beginning to train it by feeding the same time everyday, it will quickly learn to open up right around feeding time. Once they are happy/well fed/ and acclimated, they will normally stay opened up pretty much all day and the light does not affect them at all. Even thought they don't use any light for nourishment, they will still open up in the brigthness. These guys are bottomless pits as far as how much they can consume. Each polyp feeds itself only and they do not share nourishment so you'll have to keep an eye open to make sure every single one is getting enough food. You can tell if a head is fat and happy if the base of each tube has very fleshy/swollen full skin surrounding it and the top is bulbous. If the polyp is thin and withdrawn into it's tube with a concave surface, then it is not happy and needs more food. Try to keep it in good current so that it can catch stuff as it wants to whenever it wants. Hope this helps.

Ivan,
    Although they might not grow "as fast" as some SPS such as Staghorns, they will grow at a decent speed and actually they might surprise you if they are well fed and happy. When I was regularly feeding mine, I would not new polyps weekly and they would grow quite fast!!!

toutouche

do you have a link to the feeding each polyp individually? I have read the opposite and would like to learn more. I've also read they don't like bright lights.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    A convenient way of feeding corals such as these is to use a "Feeding Cap", often called a Lunar lander.

The basic idea is to use the top of a soda bottle, attach some airline hose to the spout, and then a turkey baster to "baste" the food into the feeding cap sitting over the coral.

I'll try to find a pic.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Here's another, this one more complex, but it's based on the same premise.

---TEXT FROM ORIGINAL AUTHOR---

Here are some pics of my Sun Coral feeder. I did this after I got sick of feeding the coral
    by hand. This setup is inspired by a design I saw on the net that had a coke bottle cut in
    half with a feeder tube stuck thru the plastic cap. I found that with this design, the
    food settled at the bottom if I did not agitate the water every few minutes. The powerhead
    in my design serves the purpose of keeping the water moving, hence keeping the food from
    settling down. Here are a few other deisgn enhancements...

1. Power head to keep the water moving.
    2. Four way splitter to configure the water power/circulation
    3. Water re-entry below the water line to keep good circulation
    and an additional water re-entry point above the water level
    to prevent food particles from getting trapped on the surface
    4. Extended feeder tube to inject food from above the aquarium
    water line

I generally put the device on top of the coral, inject the food, start the pump and leave
    it running for about an hour. By the end of the hour, the food is pretty much consumed by
    the coral. Any stray pieces are eaten by the hermits that are looming around the outside
    the plastic cover when I remove the device.

Please let me know what you think of the design... Here are some pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sun Polyp Growth-coral-feeder1.jpg  

This is the unit in use, with the coral being fed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sun Polyp Growth-coral-feeder2.jpg  

How much do you guys feed them ? Is one mysis shrimp per polyp enough food ? I've been feeding each polyp about 1-2 full mysis shrimp (thawed from frozen) per day

Nick.

"Big" Johnny rockhard....: ,
    Nope. don't have a link. This is just what I've read over and over again and also from experience. While other corals share nourishment from each polyp throughout the entire colony, Sun corals don't. If you do a search on feeding, you will see it mentioned time and again that it is imperative that each and every polyp gets food. If you actuall have one of these in your tank, you will notice that the ones that don't catch anything, will often become rather shrunken in and wither away. Why do you think it's so important to feed them using things like the spaceship and to feed them everyday. If they shared nourishment, then even if only 1 or 2 polyps ate well the whole colony would be nice and fat. This coral is a "strctly carnivore" that needs meat in each and every polyp for them to all survive.
    As for the light thing, you can keep them in the shade or under full light. I had mine half way up under 400w Radiums and it was fine. The reason lots of people THINK they don't like light is because light is absolutely useless to them. So, automatically people will assume they don't "like" it. The only thing to remember though is that if you have an algae problem in your tank and the coral is not shaded, then it might get algae growing all over it. Otherwise, place it anywhere you like!!

NBreau,
    Have you been literally feeding each and every polyp one at a time with 1 or 2 mysis shrimps everytime you feed it??!!! You might want to do more of a general feeding routine such as with the spaceship thingy because it must take you considerable amount of time each feeding and you will probably get bored or tired of doing it this way evenually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast