Thread: Check Valve

Check Valve

Just a quick question about True Union Check Valves. I was wondering if anyone ever have one of them fail on them?? I'm receiving one from Ivan on Tuesday or Wednesday and I need some piece of mind for spending $30.00 plus express post(I'm sick of seeing the aquarium dry!!!Faster I get it the better) on one fitting!!!All the same it's a small price to pay if the lights go out and it don't cost me thousands to clean up the living room plus the $5000.00 sewing machine sitting right under the tank on the lower level. Come to think of it probably a good idea to move the sewing machine........Just in case:biggrinbo
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Mel
    I'm sorry..... did you say $5000 for the sewing machine?!? SHHHH.. don't tell my wife. I bet the reef hobby would feel a bit less expensive if my wife had a sewing machine like that!

I bought one after my first flood. I have been using one for about 8 months now and it has saved me numerous times. I would not be without one! I think it is cheap insurance.

R

Mel ya it's an industrial sewing machine. It can sew through plywood!!! (Thats my way of saying it's a manly sewing machine!!!) It's a pretty good machine.

Rentaltux do you ever have to clean it of is it pretty self sustaining??
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

The reason it is a "true union" is that it can be removed easily to be cleaned.

As with all plumbing in a reef setup, you will find buildup inside everything.

You should add cleaning the unit to your regular maintenance. At the least you should test it to make sure it stops the flow correctly.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Everything can fail one day, so you should find a way to avoid a syphon when the lights go off. Like having an hole outside of water, so that air can enter in the pipe. Just a small 1/4 inch hole would be enough, I think...

Steve

Originally posted by Rentaltux
    I bought one after my first flood. I have been using one for about 8 months now and it has saved me numerous times. I would not be without one! I think it is cheap insurance.

R
    Rentaltux,Do you have a hang on overflow?

Mike...Personnaly when i set up my new tank i will be having 2 inline check valves....I Guess im use to having a double back up on helicopters..I apply this to pretty much all that is a risk at home...Just to give you an example..I have an auto top off on my tank and i have 4 float switches on it...2 that works the pump in the 10 gallon tank and 2 more that is on top of the other ones that will cut the power to the relay of the auto top off if ever the other 2 fails....I have My skimmer overflow hose that goes into a 5 gallon water jug...and I have a tsunamie auto top off that is at the top of the water jug and the skimmer is plugged into that auto top..so if ever for anyreason my return of the skimmer is blocked and the water rises into the collection cup....if its sucking the water from the tank when the 5 gallon jug is getting full the auto top off will shut the skimmer down.....I do not trust any equipement....thats why i will put 2 check valves inline
    Derik...

right on no not a bad set-up Derik

Thanks
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott