Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Instant Ocean Salt...Is it this bad??

Yesterday I posted a problem I was having with my alkalinity and calcium. I was pointed in the water change direction for the tenth time. So I decided to make another batch of water.

UPDATE: I got the water ready and just before doing a water change I decided to test the water for Alkalinity and Calcium. the results!! Well now I know why the water changes where not helping only making things worse! Alk:6.5mg/l on the seachem test kit CA:360. I tested the water in the aquarium as well. Alkalinity Dropped to 5mg/l CA went up to 380...What do I do? Is this a bad batch of Instant Ocean salt? Or does this salt always have these parameters??

Tony, are you still dosing KW?
    As for the salt, that sounds a little low for the alk, but calcium seems normal (that's LOW, but normal for instant ocean)
    If you are dosing kw- STOP completely. Get some Reef Builder from Seachem and some Reef Advantage Calcium. Add small amounts of Reef Builder until you get the alkalinity at around 9-10...Hey- you are testing in meg/l THAT IS A PERFECTLY GOOD READING- maybe even high!! You have to multiply meg/l by 2.8 to get a DKH reading.
    Tony, please clarify which test you are using the AND the results. If it is really meg/l then your alk is way too high and would explain your trouble trying to raise the calcium levels. With a alk that high, calcium has trouble dissolving at normal levels.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Well. First, it is in mg/l and Iím using the seachem test kit, That is like 18 DKH!! and second I have not dosed with KW for a very long time, I stopped after the first conversation we had and started doing water changes like you told me to. The problem is whenever I did a water change things would seem to get WORSE! So yesterday I prepared another batch of fresh water (don't ask why) and decided to test it before putting it in. AND THATíS WHEN I BLEW MY MIND! it's the salt mix that is giving me my probelms.ALK:6.5mg/l on the seachem test kit and CA:360. Iím going to test the water again today to see if maybe the water needs to completely dissolve or the temperature has anything to do with it, So I put in a powerhead and a heater and Iím going to test it again today...
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMís, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

Wow, that is high- really high. I'm suprised. I'd do two things: buy another bag of salt, mix a batch and test again. And I'd buy another type/brand of alkalinity test kit- just to make sure.
    You might even try buying another brand of salt and give it a test..
    It sounds like a bad bag of salt...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I'm never buying Instant Ocean again!! As for the test kit it comes with a testing regent, so I don't think it's inaccurate. I tried the test regent out and it's right on...
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,

seahunter

I doubt its the salt.if your just putting saltmix in the bucket and stirring it with a stick and testing right away chances are your gonna get scewed results. you should have a powerhead in there with the airater plus use a heater and bring up the temp to tank temp. test a day later or 2. I even remember reading some threads were you could test for ammonia and get results at first. IO salt is one of the better salts [not best].
    360 for ca is not bad or abnormal.

I agree with Johnny. You really have to wait at least 24 hours to get accurate results. Keep a powerhead in the entire time.
    Susan

ok its now 36 hours later, I had a powerhead in there and A heater; The results, Alk:6.5 which translates to about 18DKH and CA:360...Is there anything else I should do?

I have alwasy used IO salt since I started in this hobby..., never had a bad batch of salt. I wouldn't blame the salt. Are you also aerating the mix? What has been in the container you're using? I'd try a better testkit such as a Salifert also.

Why is it I see a lot of threads about newer people having problems mixing some water, yet all the ones in the hobby for some time never have problems? There must be "something" you're doing not right...

I agree with Greg here. I also have been using IO salt since day 1 in my tanks and never had an issue with it. I think it is easy to blame the chosen salt mix when something that seems unexplainable happens. A lot of new people to the hobby IMO do not attach enough importance top the preparation of their water change water.
    Rob

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast