Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing leaks

Plumbing leaks

Good morning all. After all my efforts in getting my plumbing done, after about 10 minutes of running the tank, leaks started to show up. I have attached a p[icture with yellow arrows showing where the leaks are occuring. I used a layer of teflon tape on the connections and tighten them as tight as I could. But it seems like that it was not enough. Is there a way to make these connections leak proof? Could I have missed something in the assembling of these connections? I am open to any and all ideas/suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

this might shound stuid (I'm not insulting your intelligents at all) but did you glue the fittings?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I had the same issue at my threaded joints when I first set up my plumbing. I was using the white Teflon tape. I cured the problem by using the blue Teflon tape. It is much thicker then the white stuff. If you can not find the blue stuff use the yellow gas fitters Teflon tape. if you can not find ether of those two types use several wraps of the white type. It should also be wrapped clock wise on the threads (when looking straight into the open threaded male end)to prevent bunching while tightening the joint.
    Rob

osd is right

Thanks guys! I had noooo idea that there were other kinds of teflon tape but the white stuff. AT one point yesterday, I was at the point of just trashing everything and go with slip and glue.... But then, my better half would have probably cut off my ...... Well, you know what I mean. ;-)

So, off I am to HD and Rona to look for this stuff. More news at 6!

Thanks a bunch!

8)
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

There's also the pink teflon tape that you can use...

Thanks everyone for the various suggestions, and I ended up picking up the yellow teflon. :thanx: My! What a difference in thickness! That was a learning experience indeed.... White, yellow, pink.... Intersting. No blue tape tho. I did not really see that much difference between the pink and yellow. COuld it be like a few micron difference? ;-)

In any case. I will redo all my threaded connections to ensure that I don't wake up one morning with a new leak. What annoys me tho, is that, again, I have to empty the tank, remove and re-install everything. Sigh... If only I knew about this before I assemble everything. You live, you learn...
    :hammerhea :doh!!: :banghead:

Cheers, :dance: :bananadan

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Originally posted by mike536
    this might shound stuid (I'm not insulting your intelligents at all) but did you glue the fittings?
    No offence taken. A very valid question. But, in this case, I am using threaded connections with nipples. (Hey! NO wise craks please!) So, we'll see how to goes with this "new and improved" yellow teflon tape. BTW, available at HD. Rona only had the white stuff.

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Serge ... put enough tape on the threads so that it is very hard to make the last turn by hand. On all my connections I had to use a wrench for the last turn without bottoming out the male end in the female socket.
    Rob

I was told buy an irragation company that does alot of pvc plumbing that I should use 7 wraps around of teflon tape. I did it and haven't ever had a leak. Maybe you didn't have enough tape.

R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast