Thread: Mixing Salt

Mixing Salt

I just read a old thread regurding mixing salt. Most people agreed that IO salt was slow to dissolve. how do you guys mix your salt? Do most let the mix sitt for a day?

I mix IO salt in a 5gallon pail. I add the water first. then add a small power head. i also add a small heater to the pail. This i find works great at dissolving the salt. I only have to wait 1 -2 hours max. Does anyone else find using a heater works better?

you have to wait more than that. You might think that everything is dissolve but you need to wait longer until the water get stable. There is a thread about this right now. You should go take a look

-Water (ro/di)
    -salt (check for salinity, have to be the same as the main tank)
    -heater (same temperature as the main tank)
    -powerhead (good circulation, 2 pumps if necessary)
    -patience (wait 24 hours at least)

PS: make sure the container is only use for new water so one for the new, one for the old.
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Many people mix the water, but they don't aerate it. I find aerating to be the secret ingredient. I have to make big amounts of water for a water change, so I use a big garage pail and a Mag 9.5 ( for the mixing) with a Kent 3/4" venturi attachment to aerate. In a tank, you need a good oxygen level and this will help keep the water parametes stable. The use of a skimmer on a tank also aids in this. Remember PH, Alk and the ability ti hold the Calcium levels are all interrelated. Oxygernating the water helps with the ORP for this.

LMAO!!! secret ingredient!! YEAH B@BY!!
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.