Is it neccessary to run Atinics with MH 20K bulbs

Just wondering if these give off enough blue to give a nice looking blue color.

Thanks

Leafster,
    Absolutely not. This is all a personal preferance to what you see. I have 400w Radiums that many people say are blue enough on their own, while others say that they are even too blue on their own for their taste. I personally don't see any blueish tint to my light and it looks completely white as many others have agreed upon seeing my tank. I actually keep my actinics on during the whole daily photoperiod and it still looks fine and not bluish. The reason I keep them on is because the corals flouresce more noticibly when they are on. I am using URI VHO's as actinics and as I mentioned the Radium 400w. 20000K MH's.

ijo
    Gregs tank looks awesome... the 20k radiums definately give off enough blue. I prefer the 13k from PFO after taking a look at Johnny Rocks setup... I bet they would look even better with a couple Aquasuns.

IJO

My buddy has a 20K bulb and had VHO installed from when he had a 10K bulb. He took out the atinics and replaced them with a 50/50 bulb and the combination looks really nice. A little blue for me but not too blue....if that makes sense.

:beer:
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Originally posted by mouse6196
    He took out the atinics and replaced them with a 50/50 bulb and the combination looks really nice. A little blue for me but not too blue....if that makes sense.
    Yup!! It makes lots of sense. As I mentioned, it's all about personal taste as to what is too blue and whatis fine.

Ivan,
    Don't forget when you saw my tank, there was 2 x 110w actinics running with the Radiums.

Well, I ask because I just bought a 250W E-Ballast. I also got a 250W XM MH lamp for it. My tank is a 33gal. 36" L x 12" w and 18" H. I hope I can get away with just one 250W bulb and run two NO atinics for dusk/dawn effects only.

Leafster

Leafster,
    Beforehand, I was also running my actinics only as dusk/dawn. As I said, it's all in what you like when you look at the tank. Only time will tell once you've installed them.