Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flameback Angel

Flameback Angel

I have an Flameback Angel, that I'm a little worried about putting in my tank, as it may eat corals. I was wondering if anyone has this fish and if it was a problem for your reef tank.

Thanks

jws
    Is your Flame Angel in a fish only tank currently? I certainly hope it's not floating around in the plastic bag from the lfs waiting for an answer!

Most don't have any huge problems with nipping at corals, but it is generally noted that you monitor this specimen for a week or two to make sure. If you have valuable corals and you're totally scared of taking the risk, then I would suggest you keep it in a FOWLR tank, return it to the fish store, or sell/give it to somebody who can take care of it. Once you put it in, you'll have a heck of a time trying to catch it.

I guess you couldn't resist it at the store? I don't blame you. It's a beautiful fish.
    jws

Always try to make more than you take. Frag someone you know today!

The flameback angel and the flame angel aren't the same fish. The flameback is a pymgy angel which I have read may be safer. However, it is a still a gamble.

The flame is usually reported as being 50/50. In some cases, they have been safe for months and then started nipping. Some people suggest heavy feeding reduces the risk of nipping.
    Nick

All Angels are hit and miss.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Nick is right,

This is the flame angel (Centropyge loriculus):

This is the Brazilian Flameback Angel (Centropyge aurantonotus)

...and this is the African Flameback Angel (Centropyge acanthops)
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Ironman,
    I disagree with you there. The Genicanthus sp. angels are perfectly reefsafe as they are planktonic feeders... and some are quite beautiful. Some of these are the Lamarcks, Bellus, Watanabei, and Swallowtail for example.

tang_man_montreal,

My question is out of the ones you mentioned above, what is their survival rate like in the aquarium? Some are very selective and specific feeders, and cannot survive with the food we have available.

Cheers

Of the 4 mentioned above, they fare VERY well in captivity, eating frozen and dry prepared foods. The only issues are with decompression, as some of those (like the Bellus and Watanabei) come from deeper waters, and as such, sometimes suffer swim bladder disorders. Just make sure to get a healthy, eating specimen as with any other fish.

Some, like the Bellus, will initially be timid in brightly lit tanks due to their origins of deeper water environments, however, like several Anthias species, will eventually be fine.

Johhny Rock and myself and maybe a few others have Swallowtails. Mine has never touched a coral and eats everything I put into the tank, seems to be doing VERY well.

Dark,
    Yup very true... Toutouche also has had a Lamarcks Angel in his tank for well over a year.
    I currently have a Bellus on hold for me at the LFS, going through quarantine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast