Question Caulerpa Serrulata

Hey gang,

Is it good to keep a little Caulerpa serrulata in the reef tank or is it a disaster waiting to happen?

I heard that under certain conditions they can release spores and destroy your tank.

Thanks

I would assume that the serrulata can go sexual like the grape caulerpa. Most folks suggest keeping an eye on it and keep trimmed, so I can only guess that you'd have to treat this macro like the others.
    George

I trim it twice a week cause it grows so fast.

Thanks

Any type of Caulerpa is no good.., period.
    Caulerpas started being used when Leng Sy came out with his Ecosystems and decided to use the Caulerpa because it was easy to find and abundant and it just did a snowball effect from there on. However, all Caulerpas go sexual, and most importantly, release all the nutrients they slowly built up while absorbing them, in one shot. Thay all also release many types of toxins that are bad for other corals as a deterrant for predation. If you think about it, how will the coral know if it's a fish trying to eat it or you cutting pruning it? So to answer this question, everytime you trim it, you are willingly releasing it's toxins into your water. Major chemical warfare going on with them. They also all attach to the substrate and rockwork making it darn near impossible to remove 100% of it without leaving strands behind embedded in the rock.
    Take it out and don't break any of the stems when you do. Every break equals toxins oozing out. Use other types of Macro such as Chaetomorpha sp. ( Spaghetti algae). This never goes sexual and does not attach. It grows like a ball of steel wool and the critters love it even more for hiding in.

Toutouche,

One question. I heard that some people grow caulerpa in their refugium. Would they not encounter the same problem?

Thanks

Yes, and many people do. Myself included in the past... The thing is, newer people might not realise if and when the Caulerpa caused some setbacks. They might have assumed it was something else. You can also read about how bad Caulerpas are on www.wetwebmedia.com

Thanks,

I ripped it all out, why take the chance.