Question HELP...Nitrate and Amonia problem

Hi,

Since my heater exploded in my tank(and kill everything) I have a problem with Nitrate and Amonia. It's been around a month that it happen and I'm still unable to lower the nitrate... And there is nothing in the tank. So it cannot be overfeeding.

So last week I have done water change each two days. Yesterday I have remove all the rock and vaccum all my sand bed. And the reading are still the same. The salt is OK as for the ALK, calcium and PH.

So I need your help as I'm starting to depress... And just to let you know my tank is a Nanocube 12Gallon, with 15 pounds of sand and 12 of live rock. Right now I'm running a bag of Chemi-Pure in the backl compartment.

Thank you,

#1 are you testing for nitr"i"te or nitr"a"te? Most test for nitrite levels since it is nitrite that leads to ammonia then to nitrate.

#2 maybe you need to try a different test kit.

Since you have nothing in the tank, why dont you do 12g water changes. Unless that's what you are doing. How old is your tank? When you say there's nothing, you mean only sand and LR?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

That waht it is... only sand and live rock. And when I was doing water change each two days I was doing 50% to 75%. But I can try a 100% water change and see what happen.

Hi,

I just redo my test tonight... but they are the same except that I did the one for nitrite.

So here are the result...
    PH: 8.0 - 8.2
    Alk: Ok
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 15 (mg/l)
    Ammonia: 0.50 (mg/l)
    Calcium: Ok

So Nitrate and Ammonia are still high and I have no clue on how to lower it. So I still need your help.

Thank you,

haggus,
    You may have not left the tank long enough to properly cycle. By doing those large water changes and vacuming the sand bed. You are wiping out the small bacteria in the tank making the cycle take longer to convert the ammonia.
    IMO you should leave the tank for 4 to 6 weeks then check your levels before adding live stock only add a small bit of food every other day for the live rock critters and to start the ammonia..
    good luck.

Orion, my thought exactly.
    By vacuuming the s/b you're removing the good critters and not allowing it enough time to do it job in Nitrate removal.
    It also sounds as if you may have started a "mini" cycle again by doing this.
    I'd do water changes, and wait.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Like was said before, try another brand of test and wait it out. Water change or not. Its not uncommon for us to have nitrates and amonia. Once your amonia is gone, deal with nitrates. What hapenned to your couple of snails and crab you had, did they all die? Could that of been the cause of a mini cycle. Anyways with nothing in there now you have nothing to worry about. Once everything is in balance, start adding back some cleaner crew, and than one fish later on. There are records of people recording 3 or even 4 times that much nitrates in there tanks, if that is any consolation. Not that I recomend trying it though.