Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trigger and Cowfish in the reef tank?

I've got a Niger trigger and Cowfish I was planing on keeping in a seperate lps tank, but now I'm thinking of going with one big tank. Are their any other corals these guys are going to mess with besides featerdusters? I'm worried about my clams and my polyps. I'm also not sure if my trigger is going to eventually eat my shimp. I've got a chilli sponge and some hermit crabs with them right now and everything seems ok, but the fish are still small. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

To quote Scott W. Michael.

Niger Triggerfish:
    May nip at sponges, tunicates, ornamental crustaceans and snails.
    Harmless to corals.
    To keep with a cleaner shrimp, add the crustacean first.

Cowfish: Not recommended.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I had always heard the cowfish was the safer of the two. Likes to nip at feather dusters and such, but nothing else.

I believe that the cowfish can release toxins when stressed or dying, thus nuking the entire tank. I think that's the reason for the lack of recommendation for reef tanks.

Aside from the toxins, it may not be well suited for the current of a reef tank. It's basically one solid body with a movable tale which it fans out to swim, or closes it to use like a rudder. It has pectoral fins as well of course, but those are generally used for 'hovering' and maneuvering rather than high current swimming. If you ever had a FO tank, it is a really smart and bold fish. When it's time for feeding, it will spit water at you like it's telling you to hurry up!
    George

Neither of those two fish are ideal candidates for a reef tank, most cowfish will nip at allmost any corals
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

I know they are not ideal, and that is what intrigues me. Do you know from expeience that they nip at most corals. After observing him for months I'm not worried about the toxins. He gets along great with the trigger. I'm definatly going to try some LPS with it and see what happens, that way Ican keep the current down a bit. I'd really like to find out if someone has tried this or knows someone who has.

I was considering one of these fish for my 300g at one point. The toxin thing is real but apparently extremely rare. If you have peaceful tankmates you don't really have to worry. Some of them get very large though.

I decided against it because tankmates would be difficult. They can be nippy to other fish. You have to have them with docile fish to reduce the chance they will release toxins if stressed but they tend to nip docile fish.
    Susan

I had one in a FO (with a resident dotty-back, and an agro one at that too!!!) and it never caused a problem, and was never bothered by other fish.
    The are poor swimmers, due to the helicopter thing going on.
    I think the toxins would be pretty rare, as mine suddenly got weak and was constantly being pushed into an anemone and it fought for it's life not to end up in it, and then was moved to QT and never released toxins.
    They are not recommended for reef tanks though.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Hmmmm, I wonder if I could keep one with my volitans lionfish? Anybody ever hear of a cowfish and lionfish together?
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast