Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coral id's please.

I have 2 corals that I can't id.
    The pics are bad because my camera wont focus and these guys need a good lens.

The first is in very bad condition and salvaged from another tank.
    It's showing more color (albeit brown) and knowing what it is will help me place it better and bring it back to health, I really like the way it forms itself.
    I've looked it up in books but I'm at a loss here.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Coral number 2.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Cool

the first one is definatly a MONTIPORA CAP, that is in BADDDD shape [hope it comes back] and the other is a type of sps acro that I do not know the name of.

It's currently under the 130wt PC away from other corals, it seems to have added color over the last week or so that I've had it, and it has a slight green tinge to it near the base of the biggest 'piece' at the back.
    I'd be rapt if it was a Monti cap, absolutely tickled pink!!!! I wrote one on my wish list and they're impossible to get here. I love the shape.
    Is there anything I need to know about any special requirements for it? I've read books but personal experience is a valuable asset.

Johnny, there's some dispute here about whether the 'Monti' is actually a 'Turbinaria'.

Tiffany,
    I personally don't think it's a Turbinaria. There are many forms of Montipora that many people do not realize. Below is a link to some of them. While yours is indeed in bad shape, I think it might be a Monti Foliosa or Monti Confusa.

http://www.zee-aquarium.nl/contents/...nailFrame.html

Thanks great link.
    The Foliosa looks the most similar. Time will tell when it's healthier and the surface is more identifiable.
    the description of the Turbinaria didn't seem to match to me, so I really appreciate your id help. (we have no monti idea here)
    It's getting a more furry look to its surface everyday, and hopefully will recover from the bad treatment it was rescued from.

Worst case, if you see areas that are indeed dead or start to decline, you can simply frag it by breaking it. Most of these plating types grow and heal very fast.

I was thinking about that.
    There's a tiny bit of algae on it on the top rims as you can see in the photo, but it not spreading and I don't want to stress it anymore than absolutely nessessary. I feel that it's just hanging in there atm.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to stress it anymore than it currently is. I suggest just letting it be for awhile and let it get it's color back. Then once you see it's strong again, trim off any areas that have any algae or other dead areas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast