Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tangs x 2

Question Tangs x 2

Hey gang,

I have a purple tang in my 110 and was looking to add another one. Which other tang would be able to co-exist with the purple. I was kinda leaning toward the Hippo or the Yellow.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

someone was telling me that you can't put two tangs in the same tank that have the same shaped bodies. I don't know how true that is because I seen tanks with two yellows in them before. I have a Regal and an Yellow and theire just fine
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I heard the same rumour, but Dave88 had a hippo and a yellow co-exist perfectly in a 90 for a long time.

I heard that the purple is the most agressive of all.

Thanks

Definitely want to go with a different species of tang. Bristletooth could be interesting for another tang...

I have Desjardini with a Naso. No problem.

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Not meaning to be the Tang Police or anything... but......

Ironman,
    A Hippo will outgrow the 110. The Yellow and Purple are both Zebrasoma sp.. That said, there will be some initial quarrels which should dwindle over time. I'd suggest a Kole tang (or any other Bristletooth species, maybe a nice Chevron?). Again, the Purple will harass the new tang arrival, but not so much as a yellow. Yes, the Purple are reknown for being quite territorial and aggressive.

Mike536,
    A Yellow AND a regal (hippo, pallette, etc..) in a 55gal?? I see that you are moving to a 75gal, but even that will be cramped for the hippo in no time.

Deafboy,
    I'd highly suggest getting the Naso into a larger tank. Atleast 150gal... The Naso will not be happy in anything smaller. Naso species tangs need A LOT of swimming room and get large.

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Originally posted by tang_man_montreal
    Not meaning to be the Tang Police or anything... but......

Deafboy,
    I'd highly suggest getting the Naso into a larger tank. Atleast 150gal... The Naso will not be happy in anything smaller. Naso species tangs need A LOT of swimming room and get large.
    Thanks for the concern. In fact I plan to upgrade to something in order of 180 - 200 g in the coming months. The Naso is still quite small. The sailfin is older and looks as he feels cramped in the tank. I think I got him over 4 years ago. The territorial maroon clown doesn't help either... Fish get bigger. Corals get bigger. Tank should get bigger too.

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    :thumb:
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

While the Purpelc an be territorial, there are others that are much more such as Powder Blue, Clown Tang, Sohal, etc.. Each have their persoanlities. I used to have a Purple with a Yellow with no problem. I also had a Copperband that initially was a concern for the nosey Purple, but after a couple days, they were all buddies. The reason they sometimes don't get along is because the established fish sees the newcomer as a threat to it's food supply..

On the subject of tangs, how big of a tank would you recommend for a hippo?
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast