Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Polyp extension on SPS corals

Is it true that polyp extension on SPS corals during the day is actually NOT a good sign?
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

polyps on my montis are visible all day everyday and i've had amazing growth, so in my case not at all a bad thing
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

In the wild corals feed almost exclusively at night. They open their polyps then and keep them closed during the day. It's often different in our tanks because we don't have the food available at night like in the ocean. If you are provided SPS food during the day (i.e. golden pearls, etc.) they will open then.

There is still a lot we don't understand about corals but it is thought that corals who have their polyps open constantly are possibly very hungry. Because many corals derive nutrition through both food and light (via zooxanthalae) they can grow without food. We can't provide our corals with nearly as much food as they would get in the ocean or we'd pollute our tanks. This is why nonphotosynthetic corals don't do well in aquaria.
    Susan

I agree with everything Susan said, but also like to add that it also depends on which type of coral you're talking about. There are many that have their polyps out all the time and why some have that fuzzy appearance.

There's also a difference between polyp and tentacle extension.
    Tentacles will be seen at night and polyps can be seen during the day as well, for the reasons that Susan said.
    A pic of tentacle extension

A pic of polyp extension.

Tentacle extension during the day would not be a good sign, as they only come out at night to feed.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Good points guys. I was thinking mainly about acropora.

Another thing that should be mentioned. Some corals that have been in captivity for a very long time without being fed can lose the ability to eat to some extent. Eric Borneman posted about this a couple years ago and I've read a few other accounts since that support it. Apparently it requires a certain amount of energy to extend polyps. This energy has to come from food. If it doesn't eat for an extended period of time it won't be able to extend polyps. However, these corals can still live and even grow because of nutrition derived from light. I wouldn't call it thriving but they are alive.
    Susan

I was looking into how acros use energy and it's very interesting.
    It's also interesting that when they go brown from lack of light or bad water conditions, and then are put under better lighting (or conditions) that when they collect zoalanthelea from the water column they are not necessarily picky about it, and can choose different zoalanthelea, therefore the color changes we see. Hence the differing colors from store to home, tank to tank sometimes etc....
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

What does everyone here feed there SPS corals?
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,

Freeze dried Cyclop Eeze, ESV spray dried phytoplankton, Golden Pearls ( smallest size available called Active Spheres: 5-50 micron size) Crushed up Colorbits..., al mixed up in a little shaker that I dose daily.

Where can I get that from?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast