Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CAT

For the snorkeling/diving addicts...

Just got back from a week in Cozumel, Mexico. For those who love to snorkel/scuba, this is the place. I swear, if the island wasn't above water, it would be part of the reef. Makes sense since Cozumel has the second largest reef in the world next to the Great barrier. I don't think you can go to any beach without finding a reef within swimming distance.

The beaches aren't that great, mostly narrow and the water is rocky without shoes on but we could go to the end of the 100 ft dock of the resort and the water was only about neck high - under the dock were hundreds of fish. Lots of sargeant majors, groupers etc, but I also saw some butterflys, cleaner wrasses, tangs, 3-bar wrasses and an anemone that was hanging out at the bottom of one of the the piers.

We also went to a marine park for the day to snorkel. It doesn't have a beach but rather a sea wall with steps going into the water. Had to step around fish to get into the water and check out the reef along the wall. Very cool floating along, checking out the corals with fish swimming by just a couple of feet away.

Most of the areas where we were snorkeling were 10 - 40 feet deep with stretches of sand and huge 'mounds' of sps and sea fans. a few turtles and lots of fish, of course. Diving is huge there as well but not necessary if you're not qualified.

Loved it!
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

Sounds breathtaking. Would of loved to be there. I went snorkeling in Barbados and Cubaand, loved it. I hope I can go back soon. I might look into Cozumel. I know I will want to see some reefs. Do you think we miss out by just snorkeling. I guess diving brings you deeper into the hart of the ocean.

I LOVED Cozumel! I just wish that I was into keeping SW tanks back then like I am now! I definitely want to go back.

It was amazing back then...now knowing what everything is would just make it that much better.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I think I'll have to let my GF know about this. She has been looking for a place to go diving.
    -Dazz

Cozumel rocks! We stayed at the Allegra resort for our honeymoon almost 5 years ago. Its the one furthest south/east from the city. The swimming was great even on the beach, no rocks and it got deep 30 feet out. They even had man made reefs inside the bouy line that had lots of fish and 'verts but no corals had settled there yet.

We did a snorling excursion on a trimaran one afternoon and it was the highlight of the trip for me. It started off in a qiuet lagoon to sort of get your feet wet,then we moved to the reef where they let you out to drift along with the current over top of the reef in about 10-100 feet of water. Beautiful corals,fish and sea turtles.

We just got back from a brand new resort in Punta Cana and it was nowhere near as nice.

CAT
    Originally posted by flycut
    Do you think we miss out by just snorkeling. I guess diving brings you deeper into the hart of the ocean.
    The reefs are so shallow that you can see lots of stuff by just snorkelling. But because the water around the coast is rocky, there are tons of caves and overhangs to explore if you scuba.

I haven't bothered to do the scuba certification yet, but we had a hoot taking a Katamaran out and doing what they call 'Snuba' - sort of a cross between snorkeling and scuba diving. They have a small raft that floats above you with the oxygen tanks and you can dive down 22 ft with just a mask, the airline with regulator and weights - I was getting frustrated at first because I kept floating up even with the weights but I finally figured out how to stay down

In Cozumel, Palancar, Yucab, and San Francisco are 3 absolutely beautiful reefs you should try diving on if you ever get a chance. Cozumel has fantastic drift diving, once your down 30-40 feet a very gentle current will carry you along effortlessly. I was down in Feb and will be going again end of April. For those of you who have never done any scuba diving I can recommend the Reef Club Resort and Sand Dollar Sports (the dive shop). There is a fella by the name of Oscar Hernandez who is the Dive Master and he will make sure you have a very safe and very enjoyable first experience.

someone asked the question if u are missing out snorkeling vs scuba diving. well it depends on what you want to see. we just got back from a dive vacation in Roatan, Honduras, and we had a blast. great snokeling, great diving, great food, and great people. the main difference between the two is what you will see. while snorkeling, you can see fish and corals, but diving you can see the bigger fish, the deeper water corals, and most all the small invertibrates that we have in our tanks. we had a reef 50 feet from our front door in roatan that we snorkeled on every day, but we never saw any crabs, coral banded shrimps, groupers, etc that we did diving. to me, diving is better than snorkeling, but snorkeling is still alots of fun.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

I was just there myself and I agree the snorkeling was fantastic.. it's neat when you see the same fish that you have in your tank but 4 times the size I saw a puffer that had to be 2 feet long. Did you also swim with the dolphins? My wife has always wanted to do that and finally got her wish.. It was actually pretty fun. Expensive, but fun

CAT
    Didn't bother swimming with the dolphins at the marine park. It was pretty expensive and we were having to much fun just snorkelliing since the water was so shallow

The Kat we took went to 3 different reefs for the snorkelling and snuba Brad, but I can't remember which ones

The Honduras sound great Barry, it's gonna be on my list You'll have to tell us all about it at the next ARRG meeting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast