Anyone Else see the Seahorse Segment on Discovery last night?

On the Discovery News show (not sure of the title, the one with the white-haired guy and the blonde girl).

They did a big segment on SHEDD.
    http://www.sheddaquarium.org/

the focus was on the research and development they've been doing looking into relevant issues concerning seahorses...namely jumbo potbelly seahorses.

The main issues were dehydration, apparently a big problem (due to salinity in the horses' blood vs. that in the water) and depressurization/air bubbles that seahorses appparently can develop just under their skin?

It was very interesting to watch.

The potbelly seahorses they were showing were larger than the scientists hand, and he was re-hydrating them out of water and discussing a way he had developed to purge the air pockets they can suffer with a syringe.

They also showed a very startling statistic...the seahorse population in the waters around taiwan decreased 75% from 1985-1995....while the demand for these seahorses from mainland China alone increased by 1000% in the same time period.

The SHEDD researchers hope that by learning about these horses and developing new ways to extend their life in aquariums and captivity they can help to breed them as such and reduce the strain placed on the natural populations by the increased demands.

Great Segment!
    the beginning of a new journey....just starting out...

Oh, and they showed footage of the Weedy Seadragon also....
    (Phyllopteryx taeniolatus)..

Astonishing critters...soo cool!!
    the beginning of a new journey....just starting out...

Re: Anyone Else see the Seahorse Segment on Discovery last night?

Originally posted by varsity blueser
    On the Discovery News show (not sure of the title, the one with the white-haired guy and the blonde girl).

They did a big segment on SHEDD.
    http://www.sheddaquarium.org/

the focus was on the research and development they've been doing looking into relevant issues concerning seahorses...namely jumbo potbelly seahorses.

The main issues were dehydration, apparently a big problem (due to salinity in the horses' blood vs. that in the water) and depressurization/air bubbles that seahorses appparently can develop just under their skin?

It was very interesting to watch.

The potbelly seahorses they were showing were larger than the scientists hand, and he was re-hydrating them out of water and discussing a way he had developed to purge the air pockets they can suffer with a syringe.

They also showed a very startling statistic...the seahorse population in the waters around taiwan decreased 75% from 1985-1995....while the demand for these seahorses from mainland China alone increased by 1000% in the same time period.

The SHEDD researchers hope that by learning about these horses and developing new ways to extend their life in aquariums and captivity they can help to breed them as such and reduce the strain placed on the natural populations by the increased demands.

Great Segment!
    The problem that I see is that extending their life in aquariums is not really going to lower the demand in china... What they usually want is sea horse powder or something like that!

-yvest

Daily Planet is the name of the program on Discovery Channell. Always a good show for science geeks.. a much watch program!! LOL
    No I don't wear a pen, pocket protector!! I got rid of it after high school!!
    Seriously, that was an interesting segment.
    Pierre

They aren't just trying to extend their captive lives for hobbyists...they're working towards farming them. They need to better understand seahorses and their lifecycle...especially in captivity, hence the study. If seahorses can be farmed, then they could meet the deamnd of countries like China etc, and hopefully wild populations could be saved.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

ijo
    I seen it aswell GUMP... the sea dragon was awesome!!!

no worries about the pocket protector comment... I used to live on that channel aswell!!!

IJO

Dang!! Figures I missed it!!
    Oh well..., perhaps I'll be visiting Shedd in person some time soon!!

I have to say that that was cool, didn't see it all though. Greg, it might play again on the Satellite if you have one.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)