Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Whats a better natural source for eating apstasia?

I have an option for getting a free nudi branch or peppermint shrimp to help deal with my apstasia problem (which is fairly small right now). I will also be using Joes Juice, but which creature would would be better for dealing with the problem? It is also going to have to be shipped overnight so if either of these are not well adapted to that I woudl like to take that into consideration as well.
    55 Gallon w 22 lbs of live sand and 40 lbs of crushed coral.
    60 lbs of live rock. 220 watts PC lighting.

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

Well, the Nudi will die after it finishes the Aiptasia, that can be guaranteed. Also, they might not always "find" all of them if the tank is big enough for it. As for the Pep's, I personally wouldn't risk it, they can very possibly end up being a nuisance more than helping with the problem. They sometimes take a liking to eating certain SPS and often don't even touch the Aiptasia. There are also a couple types that resemble and are often mistakenly sold as a true Pep shrimp.

If it is a berghia nudi don't bother. They are tiny and, from what I've read, you're better off getting a bunch of them and breeding them first.

I definitely do not believe in peppermint shrimp. I've been battling aiptasia in my reef tank since it was set up. I have at least a half dozen true peppermint shrimp as well as a few that were supposed to be peppermint's but aren't. None of them go near the aiptasia.
    Susan

Sounds like there are no good natural preds for aipstasia then?

Damsel, clowns, xenia, digitata, green star polyps, torch, zoo's, candycane, shrooms.

I wish there were....I dosed an aipstasia last week with Joe's Juice. It completely disappeared....so I thought. It's back tonight.
    Gonna juice it again tomorrow.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

what about the copperband butterfly?
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Sounds like this juice doesn't work too well, thats the 4th case I've herd of it coming back in the last while Pwall. i2ik, thats a rather large investment to get rid of aipstasia.

copperband butterfly worked for me, none in tank, but my refugium is full , and i mine full!, i think as they make there way in the tank the butterfly eats them. He's plump and happy

Cmarty01, maybe its a large investment, but i love that fish. I think he is really looking good! Still waiting for my tank to mature up, but definitely will get one eventually. I may have 2-3 aptasia right now, but they are impossible to reach..
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Copperbands are hit and miss. I've had two now - one ate them and the other didn't. I suspect that you have a better chance if the copperband is 4+ inches when you get him. Baby copperbands don't eat aiptasia and if they are raised on yummy fish food they may never develop the taste for them.
    Susan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast