Help moving 90 gallon reef.

Hello everyone, I've been transferred to Calgary from Kamloops which is like an 8 hour drive by car. Is there a way to save my reef or should I say keep my reef? What can I do to save the creatures and everything in my tank? I'm just so overwhelmed by it all looking at it today thinking about how long it took to get it to where it is now and what do I do NOW???? Does anyone have advice or suggestions on moving it that far or should I sell and start again? If possible I want to keep the corals I have and move things.....but how?

that;s a major undertaking- Moving your life AND a reef- Not sure if I'd be up to it. Unless you can do the two moves seperately- even still you are looking at a solid 24 hours at least from start to finish....I don't envy you
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

It's a big move and like Matt I do not envy you. But may be this article might help.
    http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...r_Moving2.html
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

The CITES treaty kept me from moving my tank a similar distance. In retrospect it was a life saver.

If I was moving myself it would have worked, but moving a family is a very big deal. If I had tried to move my tank, all of my attention would have been directed there and it would have been a disaster. I would have ended up divorced and I wouldn't have blamed her.

I was able to sell off my livestock for a small fortune, and set up a new tank properly at my own pace. For me, that was the best answer.

I understand wanting to keep my reef and not give it up. Heck when we upgraded, it was horrible and we weren't even moving. My suggestion is if you want to keep all of your livestock and not sell it and start over, is to strike up a deal with a local fishy store or large tank owner to baby sit your goodies untill you can re set up. I mean can you emagine not only transporting your life and your family, but also your water, live rock, tank, and delicate livestock. Take your tank, and set up with you on the move, then restart. But consider this... if you start all over again, it is only and excuse to go bigger...lol
    Charlotte

Thankyou all for your advice. I have probably till the end of June to make up my mind. But I think I will sell what I can out of tank.....huge downer as everything is doing so well....but less stress. Then as some of you suggested maybe it is time for a 250 gall.?A while back I saw in FAMA there is an ad in there for a place in Calgary that manufactures huge tanks, inter-american or something can someone find that out if they have a copy at home? Also, would or should I keep the 130 lbs of live rock and substrate thats teeming with life?

Now you are making sense. Life events are always a good excuse for a tank upgrade! Go for a 180 at least!

Inter American Pet Supplies are indeed out of Calgary.
    Two years ago I moved my 500 gallon system four blocks. In retrospect it was NOT in the least worth it. I had a few complications...but a LOT of complications can happen in 400 kilometers...
    Matt.

Inter-American Pet Supply, Calgary, Alberta, phone 403-273-2843, fax 403-248-0889.
    Matt.

Hey Steve,
    Sorry to hear that you are leaving Kamloops. I can't help you out with the move itself, but if you plan on getting rid of some stuff I might be able to make the move lighter. Maybe there are some other options we could work out if it so happens you really dont want to break it down to sell it. Such a shame it is looking so good. PM or email me and we can chat.