Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thinking of purchasing a new skimmer

I've been running a euro reef es5-2 for over a year now, and i'm not too happy with its performance, so i'm thinking about upgrading to a new skimmer, i think part of the reason its not performing up to par is that i bought it used and i have no idea how old the pump is , its just not giving me a dark skimmate like i should be getting.

What are your thoughts on some good skimmers for a 75 gal total system volume SPS setup
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

all depends on your budget....deltec or lifereef are pretty good....har;ey makes replicas of lifereef
    Derik...

Its always about the $$ lol

I kind of wanted to go with a cs6-1 from euroreef , i have one running on the tank that i maintain and it produces such a dark sludge every week, but then again their tank is overstocked so that could be part of it, i've never looked into deltec or lifereef though, but i've heard they are good
    Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer

Hi,

I dont know wich kind of skimmer you are looking for... Hang-on, in-line... But if you are lloking for an hang-on go witht the AquaC Remora. It's the one I'm using and it's working perfectly(a lot of skimate). I was using before the Seeclone 100 and never I got the same skimmate.

Just my 0.02 cents,

I need something that will be in line, i swore never to go back to hang on
    Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer

doh
    Have you tried cleaning the pump and needlewheel on the ER? I used to use an ER knockoff, but I have switched to an H&S. I use the smallest one in my my 85 gal (+25 gal sump) and it is amazing.

How about a big beckett? I have on in the classifieds!

Fishmonger, I have a CS 6-1 and i think the same way as you do. I am not getting the super dark skimmate as we sometimes see. I read a recent thread from Anthony Calfo that might interest you. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=514199 He basically states that a skimmer should receive the most raw water to skim properly....In other words, box in the skimmer and have the overflow drain straight in the box. I wonder if anyone here tried this?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Anyone who as the drain from their display to the same chamber that the skimmer draws from is doing this.

His suggestion is that this should be a "small" chamber, just big enough for the skimmer.

Most people design their sumps this way for a couple reasons. 1) This keeps the water level fairly constant near the skimmer (important for some designs). 2) This allows the most time for bubbles from the skimmer to disipate and 3) This also keeps the surface matterial concentrated near the skimmer.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Cres, have you tried both ways? I have an open sump and i am gonna attempt this to see it there is a difference? Although there is no film residue floationg in my sump.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast