Thread: Test kits

Test kits

I just got myself some salifert test kits for nitrate, cal and alk. Wow what a difference. The old kits I was using before don't even come close to these. I love how these kits are made. They come equiped with syringes and plastic containers. I love that idea of plastic containers. I broke a couple of those glass pipets before.

I have a couple questions for the alk and ca test. It says to add drops till the colour changes pink to bright blue for the calcuim. Do I stop first sign of blue tint or keep going till I get that clear blue. Does the same go for tha alk test exept that it is blue to pink. When I do my calcium test, I fill the syringe to the 1ml mark leaving about 0.1 ml of air. I need to add almost all the fluid to get a colour change and it gives me about 400ppm. I guess I would need to reload if I would want to monitor something higher than 410 ppm.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    flycut,

I love the salifert tests.
    Are you loading the syringe up with the solutions with the plastic attachment or not?

With the plastic tip attached, when drawing in the solution into the syringe, the black part of the pistion should reach the top of the 1ml mark, normally leaving an air gap between the .75ml to 1ml marks.

By pushing the piston down to 0ml, you get a reading of 500ppm Ca. So there's no reason to reload unless you have higher than 500ppm.

As for the color change. That's always difficult for people. My definition of BLUE might not be yours.

Basically for the CA test, add drops until you no longer see any hint of purple to the color and it doesn't change back to purple for several seconds while you swirl the test vial.

Same holds true for the ALK test kit. Keep adding drops until you see the color change from blue to orange/pink.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I know you love them, I keept reading about you and a couple other guys recomending salifert and only salifert. Thats why I got them and no regrets either. Yes I am using the plastic attachement. I don't see how the little bit of solution left could titrate up to 500. I hope I never find out, isnt 500ppm way too much anyways. As far as the colour change goes, I guess its like you said it is a perception thing. It shure helps to have the test container over a white serface. Thanks.

I am so happy to hear good ratings on the salifert test kits! Being fairly new to this those are the tests I ordered through Ivan (thanx to the advice of Volitan!) So it's alllllllllll gooooooooooooooood!

Kim

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    flycut,
    The reading down to 0 on the syringe takes into account the solution still left in the plastic tip attachment.

Good point on the white surface... My kitchen countertops are white (where I conduct my tests).

I've come to rely on the accuracy of the salifert test kits. There is no other CA test kit out there that I trust. However, the ALK, Nitrate, and Ammonia test kits from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals are not bad at all and are almost as accurate as the Salifert provided that they are not expired.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I, being anal, fussed over the colour thing a lot when I was new. I too make sure the container is on a white surface. I also make sure it's under a white light. What I did was to "waste" a test of each to determine just how blue and how pink they can get. I noted that the blue for calcium is actually a little bit aqua, no hint of purple in it at all. The pink for the alk is kind of peachy. Now when I test I add drops until I get to those shades. You pretty much need to see them for yourself first though.
    Susan