Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

ACCLIMATION TECHNIQUES - How do YOU do it?

So here I am acclimating my new arrivals tonight (Bellus angel, Bluethroat trigger, 10 astreas, some liverock), and I started wondering what everyone else's preferred method is...

I thought it would make a great discussion topic for everyone, and be helpful for the beginners.

So, what do you all do?

My method is simple.

Snails - I put them in a large yogurt container, with enough water to cover their shells, and start an IV line from my tank at about 2 drops / second. Once full, I take 1 snail at a time to the tank and let them attach to the glass.

Fish - I float the bag in my sump for 15-20 minutes to allow the water to get to temperature. I then take the bag(s) and emtpy them with the fish into an old Instant Ocean bucket with a small powerhead. This usually leaves me with enough water for the fish to swim comfortably upright. I then add 1 cup of water from my sump to the bucket every 7 to 10 minutes for almost 1.5 hours, until I'm satisfied that the SG and pH match my tank. I then gently net the fish, and add it to the display with the lights off (or only actinics).

Rock - When I bring rock home, I usually go to the LFS prepared with a bucket and ask them to add enough water to submerse the rock. Once home, I add flatworm exit to the bucket (about 5x dosage) and let it sit there with a powerhead for about 1.5 hours. Then add the rock to the tank.

. . . . how bout you?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

i drip my fish for about 1.5 to 2 hours

Heres what i do...and i found VERY helpfull and easier transition for new fish.....

I take a peace of eggcrate and separate the tank accordingly for the size of fish..

I take the fish bag and put it in a bucket...then i drip it for about 30-45 minutes....then i take the bag and float it for 15 minutes....then i put the fish in his own space of the tank...lights out...(or actinics like you do vince)...I then leave the fish there for a week or 2..for me that seamed to be my winning combination.....it gives the fish his own space without crossing path with any other fish...BUT at the same all the older fish know that theres a new guy and the new guy knows there other fish around....but cannot touch each other....the isolated fish has the chance to get comfy and have its own food...and when i pull that eggcrate out it goes like mama in papa......perfect!!!

All of the above are after a quarantined period of course
    Derik...

Originally posted by x-link
    i drip my fish for about 1.5 to 2 hours
    Wow thats a long time understandable for Extremelly delicate species and stars etc...but as for regular hardy fish i never go that long...
    Derik...

That is very thorough Vince, and probably saves lots of $$ in the long run. I assume your process for the snails is the same for say shrimp, starfish, etc. What do you do for corals?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Zookeeper,
    The snail process holds true for shrimp, and most starfish. I say most because a brittle or serpent star isn't as "fragile" as say a linkia or fromia.
    When the time comes for a linkia, I will drip it for a good 8-12 hours before adding it to the tank.

Corals: I temperature acclimate the bag for a good 15 minutes, add flatworm exit and Reefdip to the bag for another hour or 2, and then add to the tank.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

i never lost a fish since i drip longer.

Corals and fish get the bag with a shot of water every fifteen minutes, i half empty the bag when it's full and continue 'till the bag is filled again, takes about an hour or so for the corals and 45 mins for the fish.

For my snails I found if i just put them along the rim of the tank, after lights out of course, they will slowly submerge themselves and self acclimate.

I only did it once and did lose one snail when I went to check their progress and knocked the poor guy in
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

I drip my fish for 30min-1hr depending on how delicate they are said to be while their bags are floating in my quarintine. I then add them to quar for 2 weeks to watch for anything fishy. If they pass that, they do into the main.

Stars, crabs, and snails get a two hour drip - extra water is removed - while they are floating in the sump. They then go directly in the main.

No trouble so far with this. Was able to eliminate ICH from a tang before he entered my main this way - it's be two months and no sight of the ICH.
    "Killed your clownfish? That's 30 days in the electric chair for you!"

Tang Man, I'm getting my Bellus tomorrow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast