Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MH blew up into my tank!!!

i took out all the pieces of glass, is that the only thing i should be worried about or could there be something else that could effect my tank???

get out the glass is all you can do. There may be trace amounts of metal if the inter bulb also imploded. MH bulbs get their spectrum by turning metal inside the inner bulb into gas.
    Rob

is it bad if the light stayed on for a bit before turning it off (uv exposure????)
    the inner tube didn't blow up

I think activated carbon will remove the heavy metals that may have fallen in the tank.

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

How high off the water was your bulb sitting. Can we rulle out water as the cause. What kind and how old was it. I would also like to know what ballast drove it.

Your coral will "tell" you if there was UV damage. Some will bleach or recede.

If you don't any damage, or well tanned fish, likely the damage was minimal.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I'll bet your tank will be fine. I'd run some carbon for a few days just to be safe is all.

That must have been quite a shock though. Any idea why it exploded? What kind of bulb/ballast was it?
    Susan

It was a 250w 10k venture, it blew up cause my mom hit it with the jug when adding water. it had been running for 11 months so it was due for change so i wasn't that bitter about more happy that the middle piece didn't smash. I'm running carbon just to be safe. Ive replaced it with USHIO 10k looks good but much brither then the venture. Everything looks good today. Thanks

If it's only the outer shell that broke, then your fish are perfectly safe. Just be on the look out for any glass that you might have missed the next time you stick your arm in the tank. Non tempered glass tends to break conveniently into pointy sharp triangular shapes. lol.
    George

Originally posted by George
    If it's only the outer shell that broke, then your fish are perfectly safe
    Actually, it's exactly the opposite!! That outer glass shell is what blocks the UV on a SE bulb. As soon as there's a crack init, it will leach out UV and if the time was long enough, it would burn the corals directly in that path. Some can make it through while others will have burned. The only thing to do is keep an eye on the area and you'll be knowing if there was any damage or not in the next little while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast