Yellow Toadstool - Injured

as i was rearanging my aquascaping (trying to find a nice set up i really like) one of my rocks fell, and of course it had to fall right onto my toadstool (poor guy) and smashed it. He is opening in the day and closing up at night as he used to, and he looks like he is doing fine, but he does seem a little bruised from the event. any clue if and how long it will take him to heal completely?
    -Albert

ALRHA:

It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the damage, but I wouldn't be too concerned, especially if he is opening up, and the damaged area starts to heal over. Leathers are notoriously hardy. You can practically dice them up into chuncks and each piece will grow into a new coral.

ok, thanks for the reassurance.
    as soon as i get my hands on a digital camera i promise i will post up some long overdue pics.
    as far as growing more, i have actually been successful in ripping off an arm of a chili sponge and stuck it into another rock. he has since attached himself and is growing nicely there.
    how exactly can i help spread other corals (mushrooms, polyps)? is there a way, or just wait for them to do it on their own? as far as the leather? is there a particular way i need to do this, or can i just take a scisor and cut a piece of it off? (i feel like i would just end up killing it).
    Albert
    My Photos

I've done my sarcophyton (toadstool leather) before. In that case, I litterally cut the entire head, and a couple of inches of the stalk right off. I used fishing line, and sewed the cutting to another rock, and after it eventually attached, remove the fishing line. The base piece will eventually grow a new head as well. Go to my gallery and you can see a picture.

The above description isn't the only way to do it though, and I suggest you reasearch your perticular leather first, and the most appropriate ways to propagate it. Start here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...=365&x=10&y=11

here is a picture of it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yellow Toadstool - Injured-toadstool.jpeg  

ok, the base has withered away day by day and it fell off the rock. the top is still fine though, so i assume it will reattach itself. am i being too optimistic?
    Albert
    My Photos

Have you considered cutting it off where there is still good tissue? If it's obvious that the tissue is necrotic, you might want to take it out of your tank and trim it down to good tissue, give it a bath and place it back in the tank. Leathers can release lots of uglies wen they want to and the fact that it's decaying can't be a good thing for the tank overall.

just cut it with a regular knife?
    how long can it be out of the water?
    Albert
    My Photos