All input wanted!!!!

Ok the board has gotten quiet so I'm gonna get something started....

Here's what I'm doing. *I have a 90 gallon reef, and I'm in the process of getting my 90 gallon display type refugium hooked into the system. *Both of these will eventually share the same sump.

Now....I got 60-70 pounds of Live rock off a guy selling his system today. *I'm going to keep the rock in a 30 gallon sump with a heater, mag 7, and of course salt water...duh! *The rock may be in this sump for about a week or two.  This sump is not connected to any tanks.  All on it's own.

Now...the rock is slightly green, not hair or turf algae, just that green you get when not using R/O water....my ploan is to keep the rock in the dark with high water flow for a week, killing off some of the algae. *By then it'll be ready for the refugium.

1. *How long do you all feel the rock can stay in a tank with just a heater, mag7 and water changes? *The rock is a couple years old and cured.

2. *Do you think the idea of keeping it in the dark is a good idea or bad idea? *Or...should I go to reduced lighting instead of no lighting. *I don't care about saving any polyps, sponges etc on the rock. *The bacteria and critters are there already and I know they can survive in the dark.

All your input is appreciated. *If there is no input, I will start a debate on Deep sand bed vs. No sand bed...and we've all enough of that talk....Thanks all!
    8)
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo

Re: All input wanted!!!!

Good topic mouse

1)How long would the rock last in the dark?
    -I'm thinking a few weeks and then your going to be turning it into some not so live rock.  The bacteria and other organisms on the rock need light to thrive IMO.

2)Do you think the idea of keeping it in the dark is a good idea or bad idea?
    -Bad idea  I would go with a reduced lighting schedule.  I've found that 6 hours of light/day was more than enough for the rock and not quite enough for the algae to grow faster than the critters consuming it.

I'm looking forward to others response to this one.

IJO

I would reduce the lighting period to 6-8 hours a day. No lighting might cause some stuff to die off, causing a cycle.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

ijo

ahh good point on the cycle comment

It's on a 6 hour timer as we speak, I feed flake food in the tank every 3rd day, and water changes every three weeks.  HEHEHE...Just want to get people talking....it worked.  

Thanks all.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo

good job mouse... got any more for us... eventually one of us will say something others will disagree to and the debate will break lose... let the battle begin!!!

IJO

I won't dare bring up a southdown vs aragonite sand topic....hahaha ;D