Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Thinking of switching salt... IO to Tropic Marin

Hey everyone.

Lately I've been really thinking about changing brands of salt. Most importantly, because I simply don't trust Instant Ocean salt anymore.

I'm convinced that my tanks crashed in July as a direct result of using this salt. 2 different tanks on different systems, both crashed shortly after waterchanges.

With all the talk lately about bad batches of IO, It even pushes the envelope further.

My LFS carries IO, Reef Crystals, Kent, RedSea, and Tropic Marin.
    Price is not an issue, as the LFS sells both IO and Tropic Marin for the same price. So it all comes down to others personal experiences.

From reading several threads in regards to switching from IO to TM, I've read that most, if not all people, have had no ill effects.

I've also read that TM is a higher quality salt.

Who here is or already has contemplated changing salt brands? Specifically to TM... And if so, are you happy you did?

I'll even go further to show the following chart, and let you see another reason why I'm contemplating changing to Tropic Marin.

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

An interesting salt comparison article...

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/a.../1/default.asp

I use Tropic Marin and have not had problems with it (well i've had problems, but not that i would blame on the salt). but then again i am not one to speak as i do not yet have enough experience to judge a salt. this i will leave to the experts while i observe and follow in your footsteps.
    what i can say is that i did see an Ad by Tropic Marin about a special "Reef Formula" they have. they claim it is their salt optimized for a reef tank. if anyone knows about this, it may be something to look into. (i tried their website at tropicmarinusa.com but did not see it there, so i may just be going crazy).
    in any event, to contribute for a change, here is a quick little summary of some of the major salts: http://www.fishkeepinguk.co.uk/produ...marinesalt.htm
    Albert
    My Photos

Ok, i'm not crazy. It's called Tropic Marin Pro-Reef. It seem though that it is only in europe thus far. if you do a search on the web you will find a light of websites that mention it, but not in english. here is the one i found in english: http://www.petsinfo.net/magazine/sho...epetindex.html scroll to the bottom of the page.
    I must have seen the Ad in Practical Fishkeeping which is a british publication.
    Albert
    My Photos

ALRHA,

Thanks a lot... I'll look into that Pro-Reef stuff you mentioned. But like you said, it may not be available here. For the time being, I would have to use the regular Tropic Marin stuff.

Hey IJO, When you have a chance, can you PM me with a quote on TM salt?

i've also been reading all those links that tangman has mentioned. TM is same price as IO, I am also thinking of doing the same. Of course, I don't even have an established tank yet but why take the chance with the uncertainty floating around IO.

Question: If the tank is already made up with IO, should there be some sort of schedule/process to transition between different salt brands?
    thanks.
    thien

From what I've read, "migrating" from IO to TM isn't an issue, as long as it's done through small water changes.

Take everything slowly, then you can act faster if something happens.

I personally do 5gal waterchanges weekly on my 100ish gallon system. That's how I would proceed if I switched brands as well...