Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Calcium reactor vs Kalk reactor. Which one do you use/need ?

Just wondering which one is normally use for reef set up to maintain calcium level or both are needed ?

I use only a Kalk Reactor and dose Ca and Alk as needed.
    The Calcium Reactor will maintain your Ca and Alk levels over the long run once set-up properly and save the need for dosing. You will have a higher up front cost (for the reactor) and more up front work (hassle of setting it up) but will save $ on supplements and time on dosing in the future.
    I dont mind adding the supplements from time to time and have chosen to save the money, hassle, and room of a Calcium Reactor.
    A kalkreactor will also add Ca and Alk to your tank based on evaporation rates of your system and pH limitations as this will also raise your pH. Even with a calcium reactor, many people ALSO use a kalkreactor to help keep the pH up. In most cases while the kalkreactor will add Ca and Alk to your system, depending on the demands of your tank, you may likely need to supplement from time to time in addition.
    I dose Seachem's Reef Carbonate (for Alk) and Reef Complete (for Ca). Just pouring in a dose of each once or twice a week is all it takes.
    Albert
    My Photos

It shouls be noted that Alrha has a fish only tank. In a reef you can get away with only using a Kalk reactor in the beginning. Since you don't have many corals and other life ( snails, etc..) consuming calcium, there is not a need for a high supply. However, once your tank is starting to be full of calcium consuming corals, etc you'll need a calcium reactor. Kalk will not be able to supple enough to meet the demand on it's own. Now, when you use a calcium reactor, the CO2 will often bring your PH down, so many people also use the Kalk reactor to bring it back up to par. In the end, if you want a reef tank full of corals, you'll need a calcium reactor for sure..., especialy if you'll have more of the hard coral types. Also, you have to be careful when only using a Kalk reactor because when you do add a calcium reactor, you can shock the tank and potentially damage some corals. My opinion is to have it in the beginning and have it dose very sparingly then as you add corals test the parameters and increase accordingly. This way your system will be used to the reactor and everything can move smoother.

it should be noted that ALRHA has a REEF, not Fish Only.
    Albert
    My Photos

I thought you had a fish only?!! I know before it was FO, but isn't this one too? You had been keeping some bigger fish so I assumed it was a FO. I guess I should read the info in the sig's more often, huh...

i had a 20gal fish only back in the mid 90's when i was in high school.
    when i got married 2 years ago i set up a 72gal reef and last year it grew into a 187 gal reef.
    i had the crosshatch because it was reef-safe.
    get with the program greg!
    Albert
    My Photos

I know!! the crosshatch is safe. What about the Batfish?!!

Toutouche is just distracted lately. Something to do with guilt over Vince's tank and a cowrie.

I dunno. I just hang out here

the batfish was also semi-safe. i posted in that thread that he tasted my hydnophora once, but that was it.
    Albert
    My Photos

How's the bat fish doing btw? I read they're way hard to keep.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast