Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

When good polyps turn bad

I'm experiencing a polyp explosion in my tank that is starting to be a real cause for concern. I have way too much anthelia and yellow polyps on my main rock structure. The yellow polyps are the most prolific. They're spreading very close to my acroporas, surrounding the base of my gorgonians and not showing signs of slowing any time soon. I'm starting to think of them like aiptasia!

The rock is such that manual removal in the tank isn't an option. I figure I'm down to two options - replace the affected rocks (we're talking a lot of rock, possibly 20lbs) or somehow remove the affected rocks and take drastic measures to get rid of the polyps and possibly every other bit of life on it. I guess a third option would be to trade my polyp rocks with someone for plain rock but this is too much to ship and I don't think anyone local would want this much polyp covered (infested?) rock.

I really don't want to dismantle my rock structures but I also don't want to end up with a reef completely covered in yellow polyps! Any suggestions?
    Susan

Susan

Maybe you should check with Steve at Dal to use for study/propagation or trade at Aqua Creations for something.

Andrew

ATC
    Susan,
    Would shading it (yellow polyps) do anything. Ours don't always open when the lights are acting up.
    Aven

what's a polyp

8)=)

the corals that are in question are yellow polyps. polyps are a coral that have a tube like body with a mouth and tenticals. they spread rapidly, depending upon how much you feed them. if i had a picture i'd attach it,but i don't, so the best thing to do is to look it up in a book and do some research.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

ATC
    Yellow polyps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When good polyps turn bad-dsc02784.jpg  
    Aven

thanks barry, i was joking.
    8)
    sorry, bad joke.

i want to become super sea neptune instead of copopod poster.

those are bad ass.

i would love one of those, but not if it gives me probs like this for this forumite.

flame angel

take afew chunks of 2part epoxy[that green stuff with the white center] kneed it together and make like a little pancake.
    Then press it really hard into spots on the rock that bother you the most and leave it there for a week. Do little spots at a time so that there is not to much death[toxins] released into your water. I've used this approach with a few Aptasia that showed up. works like a charm.

In most tanks I don't think these things would become the problem they have in mine. I designed my system to feed heavily and I take full advantage of it. It's great for most things but not so great when it comes to the yellow polyps which are, I understand, actually more related to anemones than corals.

I really think I'm long past the option of just shading or trying to cover them. Too much to kalkwasser too.

These are some pics I just took. This one shows the largest colony, it's about 12" across:

Here the arrow is pointing to some nice teal ricordia that area all but lost between the yellow polyps and anthelia:

This is the colony on the left side. It's not quite as big but not far off:

This picture shows the polyps growing around the base of my turbinaria and gorgonians. The gorgs are not happy about it:
    Susan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast