Thread: emerald crabs

emerald crabs

I thought emerald crabs were reef safe. uh huh, nope! I bought a new sps coral yesterday, put it in the tank, within an hour, a crab found it, climbed up on top, and started picking away at the polyps. I couldn't believe it. I watched him go thru 1/4 of the coral, before acting. Got him out and 2 others as well that i found. The polyps have come back out but are visibly thinner density, where the crab had been.
    I checked a few sites on the web, and came across a few sites that mentioned this possibilty. I was amazed. Back to the LFS to return those babies for now, and hope for no bubble algae.

Re: emerald crabs

In my experience, I've never seen the little %$&#ers ever eat any of my bubble algae. I think it's one of those urban legends designed to make you fork over $10 for a crab.
    True Perc

I've seen them eat it, but if there is another food source available, they will take that before the bubble algae.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ok, $12.00 credit from the LFS for 2 crabs. Couldn't bring myself to part with them all, so the culprit I saw is gone, but I kept 2 smaller ones. Went to Montreal, ran into a Bargoon!!! 49ea. X 6 SPS!!. good stuff too!!!