ID this hitchhiker

This shelled critter appeared on the back of this snail about 2 weeks ago. It has a fine needle sized sweeper that it flecks back and forth through a very narrow slit at the point where it is attached to the snail. Sometimes I see what looks like a mouth appear at a same slit. What is this free loader?
    Rob

Is the critter the large triangle-like object on the left? Or should I be focusing on something else?

Does it look like it is able to move on its own? if not i would venture a guess at a small barnacle or similar creature. haveseen bigger versions on the bottom of my father's old boat in Florida. Does the sweeper sometimes retract into the shell (espesially when the is particles moving around in the water - feeding time)?

Jer
    Its the early bird that gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

StephG ... yes that is a blown up PIC of a snail that is about 1/2 an inch across. The triangle-like object is the freeloader.

Kjasjg ... Yes the sweeper can be fully retracted into the Shell and the slit can be closed.
    You may also notice that the freeloader has its own freeloader
    Rob

OSD, that looks like an astrea snail its hitchiking on isnt it ? Me and StephG on our astrea's have little hitchikers of sort with fine needle size antenna's of sort that can retract as well, don't know if this could be the same...I can't remember what they are called, maybe Steph can chime in...

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

The ones we have are way smaller than that ... and I think they're Vermatlid (spelleing) snails. That freeloader is too big to be one of those I think.

Originally posted by ak_sniper
    OSD, that looks like an astrea snail its hitchiking on isnt it ? Me and StephG on our astrea's have little hitchikers of sort with fine needle size antenna's of sort that can retract as well, don't know if this could be the same...I can't remember what they are called, maybe Steph can chime in...

AK
    It's a Margaretta Snail