Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Skimmer almost skimming

OK here's the thing. I broke my skimmer a while ago and fixed it myself. Seems like i've been trying to do a hundred things all at once. Like everyone i'm sure. Anyway I went to give my skimmer a test run tonight with fresh water and was extremely hard to keep the water level adjusted in the skimmer body. Is this only because it's fresh water or do I need a Gate valve. I'm using a ball valve right now. (Only beacuse I had a spare) Any info would be great. Can't wait to see what it's going to pull out of the aquarium!!! Oh ya it's a Lifereef skimmer.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I never used a ball valve but i have a gate valve on my lifereef as well and its super easy to control.....i set it once and i never touched it again.What pump are you using on that?
    Derik...

Mag 9.5. Guess i'll be getting a gate valve then.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Yeah you have the same model has mine i think too...but yours is the previous model.Did you get a venturie with it?
    Derik...

I got a mazzi (Spelling) injector with it. The guy sold it for 100 including the mazzi and a crappy pump. So I think I got a pretty good deal from it. Ya mine was the prior model from yours. You still go no problems with yours Derik?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

No not at all....worth every 600$.....Hey that's half a years salery for me...eheheBut it skims pretty good..especially on a 40 gallon tank eheheh
    Derik...

Fresh water dose not support bubblies anywhere near as well as salt water dose. Use the fresh water ONLY for leak test. Once the leak test is completed A OK ... then run it and adjust it in salt water.
    Rob

I hope it does as good on my 75. Gee's what kind of skimmer are you going to get for the Big Bertha tank when you
    get it???
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

ehehhehe just kidding..not sure yet...maybe go for those short stubby ones..i heard they were great for big tanks.....but i still havent decided yet..that will most likely be one of the last things i buy before adding fish in it....I still got to buy the tank..obviously....then the pump...then i will most likely make my own 100-150g sump out of acrylic..1/2 in acrylic just so i can shape it the way i want to get it under the tank...depending on how the stand turns out....
    Derik...

oh forgot to mention..your skimmer is perfect for your tank..its rated at 250 gallons with a 9.5 mag
    Derik...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast