Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Just got a new tunze stream and not happy

I bought the stream thinking it would be a good replacement for my powerheads. Well as i turned it on, one of my corals flew off a rock, my bta is getting tossed around, sand is flying, etc. I was told that even at 1800+gph the current is widespread and smooth. Well even at 30% this thing is super powerfull and i wish i could turn it down more. I am wondering if the streems are really and should only be used on a SPS tank? Also, i have it installed with the magnet and i cant get it up high enough (due to the rim) to create surface agitation. Is it better to have lots of surface agitation or current?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Good current will move enough water around to keep the surface water renewed from deeper in the tank. The more water you move around in the tank the more often new water is presented to the surface for gas exchange. You'll be OK.

Rob

hey mike buy some glue to hold everything down,haha,hope evrything is going to work out.

I'm hsving the same experience with a Tunze. Can't find any way to direct it to avoid damaging something and causing a major sand storm problem :-(
    Nick

humm im wondering if you could make a little baffle bracket out of acrylic..with a few baffles and divert the flow as you want it....maybe more toward that top and the....
    Derik...

I was thinking of getting one myself to eliminate some powerheads. But now I don't know. Sounds like too much flow for my curent needs.

how much do those bad boys run??
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I must say that when I first set mine up, I was having the same sort of issues. Now, I have a multi-controller and I'm pretty happy with them.

It's a good idea to try to point them at each other or point them at an angle toward the front glass. You want to make some nice turbulent motion... If you only have one stream, it can be challenging!

-yvest

OSD, So which is better, surface agitation or flow? Guys this thing is a monster, you should see my bta....looks like someone is smacking right and left and that is at 30% of the power. Will my corals adapt to the current....they really dont seem to like the flow even at the opposite side of the tank, mostly softies and LPS. I will let it run a couple more days and take it out if things dont look good. I dont understand how all these people with 4ft tanks 75-90g have 2 of them. On the other hand, all my fish seem to really enjoy the current especially my tangs.

Flycut, before even considering buying one go see someone's tank that has one. It's really intense flow.

Mike536, they are big and expensive. $400+

Goth, not a bad idea but there wouldn't be any sand left in the center of the tank.

Volitan, I might consider that.

Tony, you want to buy my tunze if i take it out
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mike ... no coral likes to have the water always moving in the same direction. Many corals will atrophy on the currents lee side. This is why electronic and mechanical wave makers are so popular. I don't know enough about the tunze units but if the unit can take the stress you may be better off with an on / off set up so water will move across the tank and when the unit goes off bounce back the other way. 2 units set up on a wave maker would be BEST but a lot more costly.
    As for surface conditions .. well a heavy chop and for that matter crashing waves are best for gas exchange but we can't do that in our tanks. A slight ripple is good because it increases the surface area but when it's all said and done GOOD in tank circulation is the best bet.
    Rob

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast