Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vlamingi Tang - Help!

I have a Vlamingi Tang in my 125.

I won't go into specifics, lets say i was misled as to the eventual adult size of these fish (upto 24 inches in the wild).

That being said, I may be negotiating a return, the sad thing is, the store I got it from will no doubt happily sell it to someone with an even smaller tank

The RC crew says i need at least a 400-500 gallon tank for this fish. Of course, they also say you need a 180 gallon for a yellow tang, so I'm confused.

What's the minimum size of tank I should realistically buy if I decide to keep this fish.

I'm so hesitant to return him. He's like a puppy in my tank. One week in and he already feeds from my hand, recognizes me, lets me pet him if I want and begs for food whenever he sees me

On the other hand, I just upgraded to a 125, I can't afford an immediate upgrade and I don't want to hurt this poor fish

I feel so stupid for not researching my purchase and trusting a LFS employee (*cough* manager *cough*).

Ok please don't flame me, I'm beating myself up pretty bad over this already, I need advice.

Either I -

Negotiate a return
    Keep him in the 125 and prob (likely) hurt him long term.
    Upgrade to a better size tank for this fish (not likely in the short term)
    Find someone with a monster tank who can take him on.

Can anyone with experience witht these fish chime in?

BTW I'm leaning towards a return if I'm able to negotiate it.

The store in question of course has a no marine return policy, but I think given the circumstances any vendor with even a little integrity would accept a return.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

return it, nothing else you can do or post it here for sale. maybe someone with a BIG tank will want it.

yeah Johnny, just having a hard time coming to grips with that.

This fish is honestly like a dog in a fish body. So frigging smart.

For those that think I'm being melodramatic, try keeping a puppy for a couple of weeks and see how easy it is to return when you know the next owner won't care for it half as much

The person I was dealing with at the LFS is off today. I will update this thread tomorrow with the results of my negotiations.

Hey Johnny, why dont you take him....you have a HUGE tank. L'm sure he would love your tank
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I'd love to but I have to many fish as is right now with no skimmer:bawling:

AS long as the fish is Healthy DO NOT worry about it !

i too have Vlamingi, have had him 1.5 years in my 135 gallon 6 feet long 18 inches wide! .. and he loves my tank! He is growing well sitting now around 10 inches long 3 inch thick belly!.. No signs of stress.. acutally just started bringing in his adult colors !

Keep him Nice and healthy in your tank! as long as you can and if need be when he shows possible signs of stress then concider relocating him.

as for a 4-5 hundred gallon tank they can get stuffed! Everywhere i have read These types of tangs along with all NASO family require 125G-180G tanks! ...

If the fish is happy! .. DO NOT WORRY

The fish is definately happy right now. I'd love to keep him and I know I can give him a better home then if I returned him where he'd either die in store or get sold to someone with a smaller tank

Sorry i just noticed I lied above, I have a 120 high, not a 125...

My 120 is 60" x 26" x 18"

I think the 12" less swimming room side to side makes a difference...

If he gets big too quick Johnny (given that you'll get a new skimmer) would you consider holding him for me till I can get an upgrade in? I know its a bunch of variables but it might help me sleep at night :-D

thanks for the advice guys, I'm tentatively planning on a 300 Gal reef in 3-5 years, but I really need to pay off the 120 first!

What other fish do you have in there?if there isnt any big fish in there he'd be more happy in your tank for now till you find someone with a BIG tank.it doesnt mean that the fish looks happy that he is.Maybe tell the store that if they find someone to buy it that has a big tank.like you said...they would sell it to someone with a smaller tank...
    Derik...

If you still have it by the time im settled with my new tank maybe i will take him....
    Derik...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast