Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy High tank temps?

My small 35 gallon tank is hitting temps of 84F:firejump:

I have used blocks of ice to help keep the temp down a bit. should i be real concerned with a temp of 84? my tank usally sits at 79 - 80.

I have zoo'z, shrooms, a tang and a clown fish. anyone that wants to donate a chiller. feel free......please

Stolen from - http://www.rshimek.com/reef/tempsal.htm

Kleypas, J. A., J. W. McManus, and L. A. B. Menez. 1999. Environmental Limits to Coral Reef Development: Where Do We Draw The Line. American Zoologist. 39: 146-159.

These authors took measurements from over 1000 different reefs, and determined the physical and chemical limits statistically.

The temperatures they found (Converted to Degrees Fahrenheit):

Averages: Minimum = 69.8; Maximum 85.1; Average = 81.(this is the average temperature of all coral reefs).
    Minimums; Lowest = 60.8; Highest = 82.8; Average = 76.4.
    Maximums: Lowest = 76.2; Highest = 93.9; Average = 86.4.

Some extremely warm and saline reefs were noted.

Extreme Reefs (Maximum Weekly Temperature in Deg. F; Salinity in ppt)
    Southern Red Sea = 89.1F - 91.2 F; 38-40ppt.
    Central Red Sea = 88.7 F - 89.1 F ; 40-41 ppt.
    Northern Red Sea = up to 88 F; 41-42 ppt.

I think 84, although a touch on the high side, ain't that bad.
    If you're concerned though, or you notice issues, you can blow a fan across your sump surface to cool it down a bit
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

thanks Mickyfin. I do have 2 4" fans drawing air away from the top of the tank. I think i will add another to the sump area.
    TANK -35 Gallon with 15 gallon sump/fuge
    LIGHTS - T5HO 36" 165 total watts
    FLOW - Mag 7, fluval 304, 201 powerhead
    OTHER - seaclone 100 skimmer, RO/DI water

they are blowing away from the tank and not in your canopy?Is the temp high only when your lights are on or its close to a window?
    Derik...

Micky,
    While those temps show that 84 is not out of the ordinary, those natural reefs have developed with the seasonal temp. swings and such over a very long time as we all know. The problem with Ktown's tank is that the shift is a sudden one.
    KTown,
    84 is not bad at all..., in a way. The important thing to remember is that our tanks get shocked and things die/happen when the change is sudden. If your tank goes up to 84 and stays around there in the summer, then that is fine. If it gets somewhat cooler in the fall through winter, then that is fine too. The problem arises when you get daily fluctuations happening when the evenings cool down and the during the day the temp. climbs everyday. This stresses the tank and it's inhabitants.

my tank runs at around 82 with the lights out. Im looking into buying a small chiller. or maybe just a bigger AC unit for the house.
    TANK -35 Gallon with 15 gallon sump/fuge
    LIGHTS - T5HO 36" 165 total watts
    FLOW - Mag 7, fluval 304, 201 powerhead
    OTHER - seaclone 100 skimmer, RO/DI water

what about your heaters?Are they on sometimes in that temp range?I know i had that trouble once..i though the heaters were on but the light of one of them what not on and the heater heating
    Derik...

Try adding a fan over the sump, also set the canopy fans up so that on brings air in and at the other end the fan takes air out.
    I also read if you freeze pop bottles filled with water and place them in your sump they will keep the temp down.
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

I agree with Toutouche.
    I also agree it would be wise to add more AC to your house. Never hurts to keep yourself cool as well

I must disagree with the ice in the sump idea though...the goal is to PREVENT fluctuations, not make them worse.
    *see no evil, hear no evil, speak no...hahaha! okayyyy...*

Originally posted by Unleashed_inMTL
    I must disagree with the ice in the sump idea though...the goal is to PREVENT fluctuations, not make them worse.
    Well it all depends on how it's maintain IMO. A few years ago my tank in the summer was a constant 82 but we had a ridiculous heat wave and my temp went up to 84. The first day or two everything was ok but then I noticed that I was getting a wilting look and the fishies were very lethargic and not eating. My tank is in the basement and I did everything I could but I couldn't lower the temp (fans, ac etc). They were predicting this heat wave would get worse and I couldn't leave the temp keep rising, as it was I had to do something.

I read on RC about floating ice bags. To do this you had to make sure that they were added in slowly (2litre container at a time, not full and frozen on it's side) and this lowered the temp a few degrees (to 82 in my case with 2x 2litre bottles). You have to make sure that they never thawed completely and replace them frequently to maintain a constant temp. The lowering/maintaining of temps was slow and a pain but I can't even imagine how high it would have gotten considering it got much much hotter

The heat wave lasted about 10 days and I have to admit that I had to watch the forecasts and temp outside/in tank religiously but I was successful in maintaining an 82 temp. If it is done properly and maintained so that the temps do not fluctuate after the inception of floated ice then I don't see a problem and IMO that's what saved my tank that year. I wouldn't recommend this for everyone or anyone but in my case I think had I not done this I would have lost a lot.

If you're having problems now and the heat is barely starting perhaps you should look at a DYI chiller over ice because trust me it's hard and a pain to watch the temps outside (which fluctuate) and in your tank and float (& how much) or not, according to those temps. You really have to be diligent about it and this is fine for a week or two but not the entire summer IMO because it's a second job.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast