skimming and live rock.

If base rock turns into live rock, why pay the big dollars. Ive bought quality live rock, but have never gotten anything but the rock, everything else i've had to buy. The rock is nice, nice formation, copepods, etc. but that's it. Is it just my bad picking or what, because in hind sight I could have seeded base rock with a few pieces of live rock, and ended up the same thing, since everything growing has been bought, except coraline, kinda like seeding live sand. Unless your getting mushrooms, polyps or something on each piece you buy, why buy it?

Skimming. I run my skimmer 12 hours a day. It seems like the skimmer's foam is too wet. Question, if your bio load isn't high enough, is a skimmer working? I think i'll try running it 1 out of 14 days to see if the skimming works better,  cause all i'm getting is really loose foam, doesn't seem to be doing much and is hard to regulate. I'm running a red sea prizm, maybe that's the problem, but i was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on how a skimmer should be run to be effective, and if bio load directly effect the amount of skimming required. It must. i figure I must not have enought load in the tank for the unit to stabilize and be effective. Also you have to regulate the water flow into this unit, it seems sometimes it produces foam, sometimes it doesn't. when it doesn't i twick the flow up a bit and usually end end with a cup of water, instead of foam. Should i leave it at a foaming level that i think is good, and every time the bio load gets high enough in the tank, this unit will perform? That seems to be my direction, is my logic correct? Thanks reefers.

Re: skimming and live rock.

As to the base rock, make sure it doesn't react with saltwater in a negative way. I heard lava rock is good for this purpose (as base rock ready to be seeded), as most rocks from the ocean is really lava rock. Also lava rock is quite porous which is good to house beneficial bacteria. I agree with you, why pay big $$$ for 100% live rock in a system and risk getting a mantis shrimp which is a PITA to get out? I would start off with 60% live rock and 40% base rock next time I upgrade my tank  

I have the prizm skimmer. If your tank is lightly loaded, it doesn't produce much skimmate. But it should not produce clear water. If this is so, dial back your water level a bit. You should be getting a light green (light bioload), to dark green or dark brown (high bioload) skimmate with very little water. A new skimmer will take a few days to a week to "break in". I agree, the Prizm has not been easy to adjust to get ideal skimmate. My adjustment dial is set at '\' (50% open) if '-' is completely closed and '|' is completely open. Make sure you prime the siphon every time you turn it off for maintenance and check there is no bubble/air trapped in the inlet. Air/bubbles trapped in the inlet increases noise and decreases water flow.

Also it is normal for the skimmer to go flat after feeding. Within a couple of hours it will go back to normal. I usually take this time to empty the cup and do some cleaning around the skimmer neck. I find that for this skimmer, a lot of skimmate collects around the neck and the rising inverted 'Y' of the cup, instead of overflowing into the collection area. I am just lazy but if you have the time, clean the cup and thoroughly wash it with a brush every other day produces best results.

Not a very good skimmer IMHO. it also doesn't surface skim so you always end up with a white film on top of the water. Hopefully the upgrade kit will improve it a bit.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Re: skimming and live rock.

agree totally, thanks, nice to know I've got company with prizm.