kbw

Coral Colour Fading Question

Hi:

I have just added a new Monti Cap. It was a Deep redish colour for about a week. Now it is a pale whitish rose. I know my parameters are fine with one exception. My dosing pump got carried away for a few days and pumped in a lot of extra RO water into the system lowering my salinity to about 1.021.

Does anyone think that the low salinity might have something to do with the fading?

I'm in the process now of doing a water change to restore my salinity and am wondering if the colour will return to normal.

By the way, the other corals sps acros and Monti Didgits, LPS seem to be uneffected.

Look forward to your comments.

I would add a photo if I knew how.

Thanks

Kev

Here is a great link that will probably answer your questions.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=234253

Zooxanthellae can vary in color from golden to dark brown. They multiply in response to a non-polyp abundance of nutrients, specifically nitrogen which is limited by their host.

That's what happened to me when I introduced two green monti caps, they never regained their green colour and eventually lost them

I should have asked before but why is your salinity so low? Corals and inverts don't do well in low salinity btw you should look into raising it slowly IMO.

I think he palns to raise the salinity..
    It is possible that the coral was shocked (and then bleached out) either by the salinity drop or just by getting transferred from one tank to another. In these cases, it's usually 50/50- it might recover and regain its colour or it may not.. If you have a healthy tank and the other sps are growing well, there;s a good chance it will recover.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I meant to put one of these

Did you check that monti over well? Nudi's will make your caps fade , if you don't find them you will loose your monti.
    Nudi's were a big problem last year. They are still around.
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

kbw
    Cake Fan thanks for the link to the articles at Reef I noticed something interesting that might also be the cause that did not occur to me.

About the same time as the fading event I cleaned out my ETS downdraft skimmer, very powerful on a 125 gal tank and it was fairly dirty. According to the threads removing excess dissolved nitrogen compounds can starve the corals. Maybe I dramatically improved the efficiency of the skimmer??

BTW, the salinity was so low because my dosing pump went wild on me.

Kev

I would give it some time yet, it's just been added to the tank and is most likely stressed and adapting to new conditions.
    The salinity may be a reason, but i've had the salinity low and high and even cooled the tank too much once, ( thought the heater had over-cooked and I cooled it down to discover it was the thermometer.)
    Alot of corals unfortunately don't end up the same color as when we buy them.
    I wouldn't be too concerned at the moment, you're doing the right thing and increasing the salinity. Sit back and see what happens you may be pleasantly surprised.
    I got a half dead tan (not even brown) monti that 3months later is showing great color and a fluro greenish too.

An interesting thing to note is that corals aren't zoo specific when taking from the water colomn, hence a coral that's loosing color can take another color from the water colomn and change.

Tiff.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)