Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Coral reef survey expedition

I just came across this web site. They set-up scientific expeditions related to wildlife preservation in which non-scientists can participate. Their latest project is looking a coral reefs in the Carribean. Sounds like an interesting organization

http://www.biosphere-expeditions.org...x.htm#Honduras
    Nick

Man those look awsome. I would love to join any one of them.

Hmmm??? My first concern would be that red scrolling banner stating no diving qualifications needed to go on a "DIVING" expedition. Anyone who dives knows how much there is to know just to get down there and back safely..., nevermind having the extra burden of concentrating on the research or whatnot they will be doing down in the water. Wonder if it is certified by any governing bodies for safety or such?

Actually the add is misleading. You have to have a PADI diving "referral level", which means you've already been through a $400 CDN diving course sucessfully.

I wouldn't call that a "qualified" diver, but somebody with that level would know how to use the equipment & if memory serves gone on at least one open water dive.

They train you for what you'd need to know beyond that. I've looked into the courses for other reasons, but since having the dangers of my past dives without at least a PADI cert explained to me in the detail that only a paramedic & former diving instructor could, I won't be SCUBA diving in any resorts again until I take that course

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

The course itself isn't quite $400, but, with equipment is can be a bit more.

I did my PADI training with Kanata Diving Supply. The course itself is $225 and includes the open water dives (4 totall, 2 each on two trips).

You need to buy: mask, snorkle, fins (w/boots), weight belt and some weight.

That said, I don't think even a PADI certification makes me ready for scientific dives.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Yeah I was including the stuff you have to buy + taxes et. al.

I don't know how seriously I'd take the scientific part. They're likely going to show you a picture of some sort of fish or coral, drop you for an hour & get you too count how many you see & then totally disregaurd the info.

I suspect it's a way for them to raise extra cash

Cheers!

How very cynical of you.

As if some organization would prey on well intentioned, innocent tourists. :mwhaha:
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Hey not me. I work for the government, I'm here to help you

My reading of this group was more positive than the last couple of messages. I understand about the diving question. However, there is much useful scientific information which be obtained by volunteers. It won't win a Nobel prize but it can provide part of the foundation to test theories, etc. I think this group is doing credible work. Now, if someone would volunteer to go and report back on their experience :-)
    Nick

Yeah okay I was being cynical, I admit it. There's a lot of great work done by volunteers. Archeology for example is one area that would be lost without volunteer workers.

But hey in the interest of being fair, if anyone wants to fund my fact finding mission out to these guys, I will happily sumbit a detailed analysis for all.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast