copperbanded b-fly

Just thought I would share a picture of my latest aquisition. Thanks to Ivan I have a beautifull fish in qt. This guy seams to be most active at night and barely moves during the day. I gues I will be needing moon lights for sure now. Anyways here is the pic, I needed to use a flash because my qt does not have much light.

It is not moving during the day because it is stressed out and hiding. These fish are normally active all day long foraging the rockwork and picking at it for food. Is it eating regularly and what are you feeding it. With these fish, this action would have me concerned.

how big of a quarantine do you have it in?And how bigs the fish?..just curiuous
    Derik...

Greg is right ... This fellow should be up and at it during the lite part of the lighting cycle. They are rather active fish during the day. Keep an eye on him ... they don't last long if their not eating. He looks to be in good shape in the pic and I hope he dose well.
    Rob

Well the situation has chaged. He was eating mysis in my QT but just not moving much. Probably was cramped in a 10g. So I decieded to put him in my display and wow what a difference. My yellow tang gave him a little bit of a hard time but the copperbanded showed him his spikes and the yellow backed off. At 3 inches long, the butterfly is a bit bigger than the tang. He has not eaten yet since the transfer, well frozen food that is. Because I found my shrimp dead this morning and he keeps going at my rock, I guess he is eating all the feather dusters he can get. I saw him looking at a crab last night, I am starting to think that this guy might not be like the reef safe copperbanded people are talking about. Oh well I guess I will just have to start another tank and make it a reef instead.

Fly,
    There are not different types of Copperbands. These fish are very curious and will check out everything up close. It won't go after the crab though.., even though it's checking it out. It WILL attempt to nip at a snail if one falls over and exposes it's underside though.

Is it possible that he is the culprit for the death of one of my shrimp. I found it torn in half on the bottom. For shure my crabs took advantage of the situation and ate it all up in no time.

Firstoff, when a shrimp looks like it has been torn inhalf, it's usually only because they have molted and you are actually staring at the abandoned shell. They split in in half on the back and then pull out of the shell in reverse. They will usually hide right after this because there new exoskeleton is still soft and they are very vulnerable at this point. Once it hardens, they will be back to normal. You have to be real sure it is not just the shell your looking at. It WILL look like a whole shrimp, antennae, feet and all. I have "never" heard of a CBB going after shrimps. Their natural food is worms, bugs, etc.... and the biggest they will pick at are featherdusters. If your CBB is indeed eating the food you're giving now, I highly doubt it will hunt down a shrimp!!!

It was not a molt, my shrimps have molted many times in the past year. It was not torn in half all along its body like a molt. Its head was on top of the rocks and the body/tail was on the bottom. Flesh was sticking out all over the place. Something defenetly killed it. If not the copperband than it was one of my emerald crabs.