Thread: From CC to SB

From CC to SB

Hi all,
    I am changing from CC to Aragonite sugar size.
    Reasons are esthetics and also because I fell that detritus will not get trap as much since sand will be much more compact.
    It will not be a DSB however.
    I have started the process slowly to allow the sand to be seeded before removing all the CC.
    But suddenly (75% done) the Xenia seems to be doing not so good , they have closed down and are very tiny !!!
    Did water test and all is ok ! The only one I did not do is calcium but I use Kent 2 part A-B so can someone give me feedback on this please I'm lost !
    All others ( fish and anemones, polyps and cleaning crew are doing fine)
    Thanks

This is a tricky task to say the least. Over what period of time did you do this?

Either way, something seemed to disturb your Xenia. Lets hope its nothing serious.

Abahn

I also find xenia to be a little sensitive. When your doing the exchange go Very slow as there are lots of toxins[pollutents] locked up under the CC. I use a mixture of differents sizes of sand from sugar size to little chucks of shell and coraline. I find it looks more natural and doesn't pancake hard.Make sure ya have some PREmixed saltwater on hand to do changes after each removal. Ya probaly know most of this but just try'ing ta help.

Thanks guys and yes I am doing it slowly but for some rason the Xenia did not like phase 3 so I'm lost as to what I did wrong this time

I've seen Xenia pissed off for a week or so and still come back after everything settles. keep an eye out.

So you mean to say they may not be dead ????

Pierre,
    From my experience with Xenia that I have, when they shut down for awhile, it's not necessarily bad. When Xenia crashes, you'll know it for sure. They will basically have a meltdown or break apart. I have had Xenia completely close up, shrivel and stay lying on the sand. Then after a couple weeks, it opened up and what was once 1 stalk became 4 completely seperated stalks. Another time, just 1 of the stalks shut down for quite awhile ( about 2 weeks) then opened up and had split into 2!!! Unless the Xenia is breaking apart, becoming necrotic or any other obvious bad sign just let it be and keep an eye on it. Let us know if it turns out bad or hopefully something good such as splitting.

Thanks guys for the info ! I will let you know what happens. Also for feeding I put in a capsize ifr Kent Zooplankton a week ... too much or about right ?