cities info needed

Does anybody have any experience with cities and importing fish to canada from the states? Somebody has offered to give me a fish however this person is located in florida, I would love to get this fish but I dont know where to start.
    Thank you for helping.

The first place to check is www.cites.org to see if your fish is a protected species. If so, I don't have a clue what to do (it's not worth the time and effort and money to transport the fish here - permits, etc). If not, you should be fine. The big issue is with corals and live rock, not so much fish.
    I think it was Bvoss who had to deal with CITES, so a pm may be a good idea (sorry Bvoss - just a suggestion)

Thanks sara, just pm'd Bvoss and will look into the liink you gave me, it actualy looks quite complicated, Ill have to buckle down and do some intence reading it looks like!
    Thanks again.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Do a search of this site for CITES. There have been a number of threads on this topic. I posted information about a Caandian contact for information.

In general, fish are not covered under CITES but may be covered under other regulations. For items covered under CITES, the person who would be shipping would need to purchase an export permit (about $300). clear a bunch of paperwork, etc. For a single item, it likely isn't worth it.
    Nick

If you get no joy from cites, you can try this:
    http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...&threadid=7843

Though you might want to let the air out before crossing customs to keep the sloshing sound down.

BTW: Any Tsunami water on your lawn ?
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks nickb, Im also starting to wonder if its realy worth it for 1 fish...

Thanks cres, no tsunami here! Just a scare, everybody headed for higher ground it was realy funny!!!

It's not worth it for one fish. If you do end up needing a CITIES permit, it's about $250 and both the importer and the exporter have to purchase one...so $500. Also they both need to be purchased by the exporter...so they need to be willing to do alot of paperwork for you.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

reefserfer, you must have a sick sense of humour

-yvest

Thanks for that info canadianguy. Im sure I wont need a cities cause the fish is quite common.

I guess I need to know what the sceene is for importing non protected fish. What hoops must be jumped through to make sure your fish doesnt end up at customs for 2 weeks?? Could anybody tell me something about that?

Thank you.